DjangoBooks.com

Accordions at Django in June?

LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Accordion Posts: 69
I'd love to hear from any accordion players who went to Django in June. Were there many of you? How were the workshops? What did you like? Anything you didn't like?

Lorretta

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm sorry, I'm not an accordion player, but I can tell you I was absolutely blown away by Steve Normandin (who plays everything, it seems...I think if they did a genetic mapping of the man, they'd discover musical staffs, not DNA strands). Friday night's concert he did a kind of tragic, histoire-chanson, and finished on one of the most explosively dramatic moments I have ever seen in any music, with any instrument.

There were several accordionists, not sure how many, but I jammed with a few of them (Craig, sorry, missed your last name...it was fun!). If you haven't been, I can't give a higher recommendation to just go. My only regret is that I have to wait 11 months, 3 weeks until the next one.

(well, there is the fact I'm beginning anew on my rhythm, playing at about 40 bpm, until I'm satisfied with my sound....should be ready by DIJ. DIJ, 2022, so I guess 11+ mos gap is a mixed blessing...)
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I jammed a few times with a younger blond dude with glasses. He was quite good. Other than him I think there were about 3 or 4. Great instrument for gypsy Jazz if you ask me. It really brings out that old mediteranean feel.

Anthony
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Hey Anthony -

Dallas, right? Sorry I forgot to mention him, an awesome player. I jammed with him late one night, really nice.

See you next year!

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • KarenAnnKarenAnn Virginia✭✭
    Hi Lorretta, PM sent...
  • Anthony - That was Dallas Vietty.
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    Thanks, all, for the input. Sounds like it was another great event. Maybe one of these years....

Lorretta
  • I was there this June. There were about 10 accordianists or so. The teachers were fantastic. The classes were small. The general level of playing and jamming at the camp is very high. I am a newcomer to the style andI found it a bit daunting to play outside of class or outside of small groups that formed on the periphery. Having said that, I really was impressed with the whole week - the level of instruction, the level of performances, the immersion in the music and culture. Really great!
  • kcasanokcasano New
    I was one of the 8 accordion students. Of the 2 instructors, Steve Normandin covered a territory I would call musicianship--rhythm, expression, that sort of thing. Dallas Vietty taught a more theory-based approach to improvisation. The students also had varied ways of understanding music, but all were proficient enough to benefit from the classes and to play with students of other instruments if they chose to do so (not all did). There were opportunities to jam with the 100-or-so guitarists and the few players of other instruments. I would have liked even more of a chance to play with guitar students at my own level (intermediate). As I've found with other music camps, you don't really learn many specific techniques there, but you go home inspired, with new connections, and with a clearer idea of things to work on. I'll be back next year.

--Kate
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    Thanks, All, for the input. TVCDBOOMBOX and Kate: Sounds like it's got a little of something for everybody and keeps everybody comfortable. And to have two accordion instructors -- that's amazing.

Lorretta