DjangoBooks.com

Minor Swing: Tune of the Month, Dec '05

Comments

• plankityplankity CTNew
    I just came a across a cool version of this tune via another thread: Christine Tassan, François Rousseau, Martin Tremblay, François Guay and Daniel Labrosse.

Great treatment of the head!

http://www.christinetassan.com/mp3/Minor%20swing.mp3

best,
    N--
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I love the Minor Swing chord chart in the first Colin Cosimini book that has the moving chord patterns. That is highly recommended by me.

P.S. I think All Of Me would be a good January "tune of the month" because its a major tune and it has a relatively slow key modulation for beginners to learn.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was thinking All of Me, myself. I'm still trying to get a sense of the average ability of most of the board, so don't want to make it either too simple or too heavy; that seems like it might be a good compromise...

Best,
    Jack.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    After You've Gone has some great changes...
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    "All of me", sounds good to me since its a very popular song in jams, and not just in Gypsy Jazz, do you guys play it in C or in G?
    C.

On another note regarding Minor Swing, I've lately been messing around with doing it in Dm-I think I stole this idea from Ted, but wherever it came from, it's surprisingly fun...

Best,
    Jack.
    Dm is the key that David Grismann and the other New Grasser's use, with a slightly modified turnaround.
    Hi, Paul.

What's the turnaround? I have to confess I've never been into Grisman, though my bandmate has a bunch of his stuff. Let us know.

Best,
    Jack.
    Jack,

Well, my memory isn't what it used to be (as I recall...)

It's not actually a turnaround, but a different B section on the Grisman version. Here are the complete changes:

A:
    | Dm | Dm | Gm | Gm |
    | A7 | A7 | Dm | Dm ||

B:
    | Gm | A7 | Dm | Dm |
    | Gm | Gm | E7 | A7 ||

You know, it's funny about the Grisman stuff, I think I appreciate it more than really love it. But I do really appreciate it. Of course, on the early recordings there's Tony Rice, and he's pretty fantastic no matter what the setting. I suspect that hearing one of Grisman's ensembles live would be the way to really get into their music. Not GJ, or course, but top level musicianship. It's the kind of thing you like if you like that kind of thing, I guess.

-Paul
    Oh, I should add that the changes above are in AABA form.

-Paul