DjangoBooks.com

Two steps back

Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
edited December 2012 in Technique Posts: 622
Let me start this by saying by no means do I think I am even close to being an accomplished gypsy style player. So don't take this post a heady attempt to gain recognition. I only would like to express my thoughts and hope to gain some insight from any and all of you that have to offer your knowledge.

As many of you might know from some of my resent posts I have acquired a new instrument. I have spent the last weeks setting it up by building a bridge and slowly setting the action. Last night I took part in a jam and noted some frustrating issues with my playing.

The first I attribute to getting used to a new instrument. This new guitar is really different then any I have owned or played for any extended period of time. The neck is thick and the tone is really gypsy. The action is where it should be but feels really high and sluggish to me. I'm not sure why it just does. So I'm struggling with re learning on this guitar. I say relearning because I have been trying to implement gypsy picking to my playing.

This brings me to my second frustration. I know you have all heard it many times before form many other players but this just feel wrong. I know it has to be right as I look and hear good players that use this picking style. So I feel like I have taken 2 steps back from where I was... which was not really that far anyway. : ) So if any of you have had this experience please think of this post as your circle of support. I know I need it.

Cheers

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    if you're new to this technique and especially if prior to that, technique was not something you focused too much on, it's normal to feel like a beginner again... just give it time, if you use the technique regularly every day, i think within 6 months you ll start to get the hang of it...

the important thing is to make sure you're doing it RIGHT, ie using the right hand/arm muscles in the right way... if there's no access to a good teacher, the only solution is michael's book, the mirror and videos....

pay attention to what michael says... and then watch videos of guys like stochelo... i always use stochelo , because he s a gypsy picking "purist"... get t the rosenberg trio DVD, watch him play, and try to imitate the way his right hand moves in front of the mirror....

another important thing is to master the rhythm playing which is difficulty, and in my opinion, near impossible if you don't have someone experienced to show you, i think michael has some online rhythm lesson available on his webpage...

being able to do the rhythm properly will tremendously help your technique

on the same rosenberg DVD watch how nou'sche rosenberg's right hand works when he plays rhythm, be aware of ALL the little details, because that is what makes all the difference...

.... notice the large range of motion on medium tempo tunes (rose room), and watch how the range of motion decreases on the uptempo tunes

notice the sort of "rotating" motion on his forearm wrist, pay attention to the thumh position , pay attention to the elbow position, pay attention to the shoulder position, pay attention to where he attacks the strings (ie between soundhole / bridge), etc.. etc... etc... make an effort to notice all the little things

the same applys when you're observing soloists...

and just try to imitate in front of the mirror,

good luck
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    if you're new to this technique and especially if prior to that, technique was not something you focused too much on, it's normal to feel like a beginner again... just give it time, if you use the technique regularly every day, i think within 6 months you ll start to get the hang of it...

the important thing is to make sure you're doing it RIGHT, ie using the right hand/arm muscles in the right way... if there's no access to a good teacher, the only solution is michael's book, the mirror and videos....

pay attention to what michael says... and then watch videos of guys like stochelo... i always use stochelo , because he s a gypsy picking "purist"... get t the rosenberg trio DVD, watch him play, and try to imitate the way his right hand moves in front of the mirror....

another important thing is to master the rhythm playing which is difficulty, and in my opinion, near impossible if you don't have someone experienced to show you, i think michael has some online rhythm lesson available on his webpage...

being able to do the rhythm properly will tremendously help your technique

on the same rosenberg DVD watch how nou'sche rosenberg's right hand works when he plays rhythm, be aware of ALL the little details, because that is what makes all the difference...

.... notice the large range of motion on medium tempo tunes (rose room), and watch how the range of motion decreases on the uptempo tunes

notice the sort of "rotating" motion on his forearm wrist, pay attention to the thumh position , pay attention to the elbow position, pay attention to the shoulder position, pay attention to where he attacks the strings (ie between soundhole / bridge), etc.. etc... etc... make an effort to notice all the little things

the same applys when you're observing soloists...

and just try to imitate in front of the mirror,

good luck

This is old, but Denis, are you talking about the "Live in Samois" DVD? It says "PAL," but also "region free" - anyone know if a typical NTSC (Sony) DVD player can handle this?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Paul,

I have the Rosenbergs live at north sea jazz festival.

It also says PAL and Regio code all but I just play it on my PC.
    Bones wrote:
    Hey Paul,

I have the Rosenbergs live at north sea jazz festival.

It also says PAL and Regio code all but I just play it on my PC.

Hey Bones - didn't even know there was a DVD of the North Sea concert! Doing some digging, thanks!

Ordered the Samois DVD, which lists as Pal, but region 0, so we'll see.

Thanks again for the heads up,

Paul
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator
    Worst comes to worst you should be able to play it on the computer I think.
    Just got the Live in Samois DVD, and I'm already smiling. Looks like Michael's out of the North Sea '94 DVD. Bones or anyone, any ideas where this might be available?
    -Paul