DjangoBooks.com

Rodrigo Shopis D'artagnan Model F, Petite Bouche Redwood top

About a year ago, I started conspiring with my man Rodrigo about building me a petite bouche. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Rodrigo in New York. He's come to a bunch of my shows and he is a great guy. He is also a serious artist. So... we talked. I told him what I wanted, and then he told me why I was wrong, and eventually I just asked him to build me what he wanted to build me. I am so pleased that I trusted him.

Rodrigo recommended a redwood top. I've never owned a guitar with a redwood top, and honestly was a little wary. But he assured me he'd just made one for Stephane Wrembel and that it ruled, so who the hell am I to disagree??? Again, I am so glad I trusted him. The top is gorgeous and looks strikingly different from my other Shopis with spruce.

He's also refined his model F a bit. It's now bigger and badder! The neck is perfect, the tone is punchy but full. The guitar is loud and complex. The french polish makes the guitar look like an eighty year old classical instrument. I am absolutely smitten. I really recommend to anyone out there thinking about ordering a guitar to contact Rodrigo. If you are a poor musician like me, the ability to pay it off while he builds it is an added bonus.

AND.... this guitar (and Rodrigo!) survived hurricane Sandy, and was then delayed an extra week, because Dorado Schmidt liked it and asked if he could play it at Birdland for a week! Of course I said YES PLEASE!!! Apparently he, Samson, and Bronson all played it. Rodrigo also included a really cool note from the Schmidts thanking me for "le guitar superb!" So cool...

So hit up Rodrigo. He's a good man! I'm taking mine into the studio now to work on my new record.

One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
-David Mitchell

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Hearty congrats, Noah!!! She looks beautiful, and, knowing Rodrigo,I'll bet the sound is stunning.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Congratulations, Noah, from another two Shopis guy. Damn, I wish Rodrigo had been working in redwood when I ordered my second one - it looks fantastic. The man is a true artist. And you got some cool gypsy DNA on it!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Looks great Noah, and it now has that Schmitt mojo! I'll bet the redwood top makes it distinctly different sounding?

Charlie
  • How does it sound compared to your Zwinakis?
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    "If you're gonna compare a Hanzo sword, you compare it to every other sword ever made... that wasn't made by Hattori Hanzo."

I love the Z guitar too... I dunno, Rodrigo's are a bit more complex sounding? I know many players out there aren't into that and want dry and snappy. The Z guitar is a perfect Selmer and an incredible guitar. But Rodrigo's is a bit more modern sounding maybe??? And by modern I mean it sounds 100 years old already. Ugh... tough question!

If it were beer, I'd describe the Z as a perfect pilsner light, clean, refreshing and delicious, a go to beer that tastes good any day and for any occasion. Rodrigo's are more like a stinky craft farm house ale that kind of explodes with complexity and makes you taste all kinds of things you aren't expecting... fruit, hops, yeast, bread, leather, sunshine... ugh I think I may drink too much.

Both amazing
    PS do we need to start a new thread on guitars and their beer comparisons?
    One writes music because winter is eternal and if one didn't, the wolves and the blizzards would be at one's throat all the sooner.
    -David Mitchell
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Noahfuture wrote:
    I dunno, Rodrigo's are a bit more complex sounding? I know many players out there aren't into that and want dry and snappy. The Z guitar is a perfect Selmer and an incredible guitar.

Noah, I'm actually strongly considering one of Rodrigo's guitars, the D-hole.

(This is Klaatu's, and my god, sweet doesn't begin to represent how beautiful this tone is...)

I'm specifically seeking "warmth," "darkness," "honeyed" (to borrow a term used by our gracious host - not sure what he means, but I like the sensual implications - amber, unctuous, viscous....), not a fan of a "plinky" high end, but these darker, sweeter descriptors would be the ideal in lead playing, for me; for rhythm, looking for a dry "crunch" as well - let me give a universal acknowledgement that "it's the player, not the gear." My own foibles as a player aside - so - "dark, warm, honeyed...and dry crunch"....these aren't mutually exclusive, yes?
    Noahfuture wrote:
    But Rodrigo's is a bit more modern sounding maybe??? And by modern I mean it sounds 100 years old already.

Not sure what you mean. To noah or anyone, could you explain what you mean by "modern sounding," as I've heard this (say, in reference to Hahl guitars), just not sure what you mean?

Oh, and what happens when you throw a Rochefort and Jever together? :shock:
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • noahfuturenoahfuture ✭✭✭
    I suppose by "modern" I mean all the lovely adjectives above, that are not traditionally associated with Selmer style Guitars. All the Duponts etc I've played, have that snappiness to them, that is lovely.

Rodrigo's guitars have that, along with overtones that many players shy away from, but I think make the sound I want. From everything you've described, get Rodrigo to build you a D hole. You will love it.
    -David Mitchell
    noahfuture wrote:
    I suppose by "modern" I mean all the lovely adjectives above, that are not traditionally associated with Selmer style Guitars. All the Duponts etc I've played, have that snappiness to them, that is lovely.

Rodrigo's guitars have that, along with overtones that many players shy away from, but I think make the sound I want. From everything you've described, get Rodrigo to build you a D hole. You will love it.

Thanks, Noah, and thanks again for your thoughts earlier, while I was thinking on this! It was a tough call, down to a few guitars (Rodrigo's, Mazaud's Vieux Paris, AJL XO, and Craig Bumgarner's new one, that beautiful Castellucia-influenced make).

I actually placed an order with Rodrigo for the Model F, D-hole. I think he's traveling, haven't heard back from him yet, expect he's out of reach. Very excited, to say the least!
    -Paul

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    He left Spain to return to the US today. He should be back this evening, but I'd give him some time to readjust...
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    He left Spain to return to the US today. He should be back this evening, but I'd give him some time to readjust...

Thanks, Michael. I know he's been traveling, look forward to talking with him.
    -Paul