DjangoBooks.com

Rosenbergs Live in Samois...guitars, and is that Bamboula?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 1,471
Hey all -

Just curious if anyone knows what Nous'che and Stochelo are playing in the concert portion of this DVD - Nous'che's D-Hole, and is Stochelo playing the 1976 Favino? I ask, because I thought I recall Michael mentioning the '76 Favino a owned by Nous'che, nd played at this concert, but that's a petite and Nous'che is playing a D-Hole, so wondered if Stochelo is playing the Favino.

Secondly, for anyone who has seen it, the "home movies and gallery" portion of the extras - at about 0:57 - is that Bamboula, with the hat, 'stache and healthy sideburns?
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I believe that DVD is from 2003 so the Favino was long gone at that point. During that period they were either playing their vintage Selmers or Eimers guitars.

'm
    Passacaglia
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I believe that DVD is from 2003 so the Favino was long gone at that point. During that period they were either playing their vintage Selmers or Eimers guitars.

'm

Oh, OK, thanks, Michael.

Do you happen to know if that's Bamboula in the home movie section?
    -Paul

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Hi Paul. I haven't seen the DVD in a while so I'm not exactly sure who is in it, but my guess is that it's Latcheben Grunholz -- Stochelo's grandfather. I've attached an image of Latcheben Grunholz from Stochelo's book so you can see for yourself if it's him or not.

As it turns out, Latcheben played with Bamboula Ferret at one point in the early 1930's and there are a couple of promotional photos of them in the book. The second image is that of (left to right) Latcheben Grunholz (cello), Piotto Limberger (violin), and Bamboula Ferret (guitar). Quite the lineup, I'd say!

Piotto was related the Jan and Martin Limberger (who play in a group dedicated in his name called the Piottos), and Bamboula Ferret was Fapy Lafertin's uncle. AE
    Passacaglia
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭

...from Stochelo's book

Hello AE, I am curious as to which book you are referencing. I couldn't find anything on amazon.

TIA, Carlos
    [quote= I am curious as to which book you are referencing. [/quote]

The book -- entitled Stochelo Rosenberg Part 1 -- was produced in 2005 by Stochelo, Leo Eimers (of Eimers guitar) and Harry Klunder. It's a full-size hardcover book with 190 pages including 130 slick full-color pages and 60 pages of sheet music and tab accompanying a special CD with five songs specifically generated for the book. It also has a specially produced Stochelo Rosenberg Wegen pick and each book was numbered and signed by Stochelo. It was published in Dutch, English and I believe one other language (possibly Spanish?). I don't know if there any new copies for sale anywhere, but every so often you will find a used one for sale -- sometimes, here at the site. Here's a cover shot and an inside shot of the page with the picture of Latcheben, Piotto, and Bamboula. AE
    Wow, Eddy, unbelievable photographs, thanks. Yep, Latcheben (I can't recall where I saw an image of Bamboula as an elderly man). I cannot believe what it must be to have this lineage like this, everywhere around, this close to the roots of this music. I've seen the Stochelo book somewhere, quite expensive, and now I know why.

Thanks for this bit of history, buddy.

Paul
    -Paul

Confusing Bamboula and Latcheben is understandable. Here was a more contemporary picture of Bamboula shot sometime prior to his death in 2008. AE
    Passacaglia
  • kevorkazitokevorkazito Winnipeg Manitoba Canada✭✭
    [quote= I am curious as to which book you are referencing.

The book -- entitled Stochelo Rosenberg Part 1 -- was produced in 2005 by Stochelo, Leo Eimers (of Eimers guitar) and Harry Klunder. .....[/quote]

What a tome! I'm going to see if I can find one somewhere. Thanks AE!
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,471
    Confusing Bamboula and Latcheben is understandable. Here was a more contemporary picture of Bamboula shot sometime prior to his death in 2008. AE

Ha! Wow, great. I think it's the heroic sideburns..good looking fellas, both!
    [quote= I am curious as to which book you are referencing.

The book -- entitled Stochelo Rosenberg Part 1 -- was produced in 2005 by Stochelo, Leo Eimers (of Eimers guitar) and Harry Klunder. .....

What a tome! I'm going to see if I can find one somewhere. Thanks AE![/quote]

I poked around last night, after seeing this thread again, realized it was at Caravan Guitars, out of Chicago, that I saw the book...expensive, $99...but what a book.
    -Paul

$100 sounds right for the book. I think that's what it initially sold for back in 2005. My guess is that there aren't too many new ones laying around. I'd say -- if you want one -- get 'em while you can. AE