DjangoBooks.com

Lulu Swing: Tune of the Month, Jan '06

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Hi, all. This month I thought we'd take a look at [i]Lulu Swing[/i], which seems to have enjoyed a resurgence in popularity over the last year or so. Here we go.

A) Harmony: Chords, Chord Shapes, Substitutions
Here's the basic chart from the Nuages de Swing website:

Below is a chart that I usually play some variation of...the changes we use tend to have a more modern sound (ninths instead of sevenths, the turnaround in descending ninths, tritone sub for the A7 to create chromatic motion), and using G#dim in place of Gm creates a sense of forward motion going to the D, which we liked. During solos, I might simplify the turnaround to a ii-V, just a V, or (this is all really dependent on the soloist), just a b5 sub for the V (Eb9 in this case). Occasionally I'll just hang on the D6/9 then just punch the Eb9 on the '...4 and' of the last bar. To create some motion in bars 5 and 6, I might do this:

bar 5:Em7 Em7/B
bar 6:A13b9/Bb Eb9

The chord shapes I'm using are your standard root position forms, with most everything being fingered with the root on the A string in the 5th to 8th fret range. The exceptions are the G, G#dim, and A13b9/Bb, rooted on the low E string. (Sorry for not writing out all the fingerings; I'm still trying to figure out how to use the software I've got here..)

B) Heads: Fingering & Picking
To me, this is one of those tunes that really force you to find the right fingerings to get the right rhythmic feel for the tune; I find it hard to do uptempo without resorting to a lot of hammer-ons. Those of you with Tchavolo's [i]Alors?...Voila![/i] CD can see on the video portion where Romane struggles to get the melody out. Unfortunately, I don't have a file of the melody to post right now, but I'll work on that soon. One thing interesting about [i]Lulu [/i]is that there's no written melody for the bridge. For those who want to take a crack at transposing the head, here's a start:

------------------------------------------------------------
--7-7-7------------------7---------7-7-7-----------------
------------------------7---------7------------------------
----------7--------7-9------7-9-----------6----and so on-

C) Improvisation: Suggestions about how to approach the changes
The changes are similar to tunes like [i]Exactly Like You[/i] and [i]Take the A Train[/i], so you might find inspiration there...I'll let the more experienced handle this one.

D) Intros & Outros: Beginning and ending the tune, traditional or not.
The intro I've always used is a simple movement from D6/9 up to Eb9 or A13b9/Bb, with a sort of latin rhythm-my half cribbed take on the Hans'che & Lulu version. For the outro, our lead guitarist extends the descending fourth line until it reaches the point where the D is in the top voice, and we're out.

All right, let's discuss...

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    the intro from the Hansche and Lulu version (the original) is

Dmaj7
    x
    x

A7+
    x
    x
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Is the Hans'che and Lulu version or CD with the version available anywhere?

Craig
    I found an MP3 of Lulu Swing elsewhere on this site.

http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/200 ... swing.html

The link to the MP3 follows a discussion of Lulu and Hansche's Lulu Swing. Is this them playing?

Craig
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Craig,

There's a link to it in my first post. I assume it's the one you found. Follow this if not:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/archives/loulou_swing.mp3

For the CD information (It's from Fünf Jahre Musik Deutscher Zigeuner, not to be confused with Musik Deutscher Zigeuner #5):
    HanscheWeiss_FunfJahre350-s.jpg
    http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=258

I'm not clear if it's available commercially still...anyone else?

Best,
    Jack.
    Jack:

I was looking at the Django Station site. Are they offering these older recording for sale somehow? I sent them an email, but haven't heard back.

I have Deutscher Zigeuner #5, love to get my hands on Fünf Jahre Musik Deutscher Zigeuner and Dja Maro Drom.

Who do you think is playing on the version on Michael's site? Doesn't sound like Lulu and Hans'che from what little I know.

Craig
    The version here is the version from the Funf Jahre.. album (i.e., Hans'che & Lulu). I know what you mean, think-it seems mellower than much of the German stuff. If you find someplace selling these, please let the rest of the forum know-everyone should have these discs!

Best,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I would say it does sound like them - Lulu plays hard like he normally does, and Hans'che plays with sophistication and elegance as he normally does. BTW that is a great album - try German ebay, as it comes up there sometimes. Jack did I send you Mp3s of that album?
    I was just looking through my old mails trying to figure that out! It was you, a little over a year ago...thanks again!

Best,
    Jack.
    Another thing for everyone: PLEASE let me know if the majority of you are just looking at this and thinking it's too basic a tune, or one you know too well already; it'll make a big difference in what gets chosen in coming months. It's a balancing act, but I hope to keep it interesting for as many people as I can, so keep the suggestions coming. At this point, my big (but basic) questions are whether people would rather look at tunes from an earlier era or a later era, and whether they'd rather see fairly familiar titles or some of the lesser played repertoire. I'm sure we'll get to both eventually...

A few ideas for next month: Douce Ambiance, Just One for Babik, Swing 39, Si Tu Savais, Swing Gitan, Troublant Bolero, Nuages...good grief, there's so many great tunes...in the meantime, let's keep going with Lulu; I'm counting on some lead players to help out with this whole enterprise, considering how bad I am at it.

Best,
    Jack.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    nwilkins wrote:
    BTW that is a great album - try German ebay, as it comes up there sometimes.

Look here, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Haensche-Weiss-Quint ... dZViewItem

Best,
    Barengero