DjangoBooks.com

FS in Europe: AJL 503 gypsy jazz guitar ... SOLD

Wolfi59Wolfi59 GermanyNew
edited March 2013 in Classifieds Posts: 21
Hi there,

I´m a gypsy jazzer from Germany and I´m selling my 2006 AJL Model 503 gypsy guitar, a copy of Django´s famous Selmer #503. As in the original Selmer, the AJL 503 is missing the 4th brace ... giving it that special sound. Condition is very good, nearly like new. No scratches or cracks or dings. Being regularly played since 2006 the guitar has perfectly broken-in and "opened up" over the years. Ari-Jukka Luomaranta built this guitar as a show-room model for the "Vintage Guitars" Store in Stockholm, Sweden. I bought the guitar directly from there, being the first owner.

Sound and playability of this guitar is excellent … best Selmer copy I played to date. Even compared to a real old Selmer (I owned one), the AJL does really shine. Ari-Jukka is for sure one of the most talented builders of **** in the world.

My AJL 503 has some special upgrades: 
- back and sides are made from beautiful figured hand selected brazilian rosewood
- AJL vintage tuners
- neck dimensions are taken 1:1 from an original Selmer guitar from the 1940´s (thicker neck and less rounded fretboard)
- spruce top is coloured to give it an aged appearance

The AJL 503 comes with 2 additional bridges, allowing for a higher or lower action. For my taste, the current setup is just perfect. Playability is perfect for a gypsy guitar. The guitar comes in the famous AJL fibre-glass case that fits like a second skin to the guitar. Compared to classic guitar cases, this AJL case is lightweight, small and very stable.

I´m offering my AJL 503 for 2.499 Euro. To better range my asking price: the current price new for this guitar with the implemented extras is 4.170,- Euro + several months of waiting time). Guitar is also listed on ebay germany:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/140927164849

I´m Paypal verified and have a 100% positive feedback on ebay from >370 transactions.

Guitar is located in Germany, in the Frankfurt am Main / Wiesbaden region. Selling and shipping to any EU country with DHL or UPS.

Why do I sell it? Ari-Jukka has built me a great Favino copy. Favino style guitars with their bigger body do better fit to my physical frame and playing style.

I´m happy to answer any further questions, best via email ( whenkes(at)kabelmail.de ). Below are the specs and original photos of my guitar.

Thanks for your interest,
Wolfgang

EDIT: I added a short audio clip of the guitar recorded with my Tascam DR-7

Specifications:

AJL Model 503 
built by Ari-Jukka Luomaranta
Serial: #522
Built in 2006

Scale length: 670mm
Body size: 410 mm at lower bout
Top: Solid European spruce
Back & sides: Hand laminated Brazilian rosewood
Neck: three piece European walnut with original crafted headstock
Neck dimensions: 1:1 taken from original Selmer guitar (thicker neck and plainer fretboard radius).
Fingerboard: Ebony with abalone dots
Truss-rod: Two-way adjustable
Frets: Dunlop 6105
Finish: Nitrocellulose, "aged and coloured top"
Tuner: AJL vintage tuners

Photos are original from my guitar:

Comments

• If this were in the US, I'd strongly consider it. Lovely looking guitar.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    The Best Selmer copy, even compared to an old Selmer... I like that!
    Beautiful guitar. The price is good...
    - JG
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Gorgeous
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Remember this one from Vintage Guitar... AJL builds probably the best looking Selmac around.
  • martin bmartin b London✭✭ Epiphone Deluxe
    I have no doubt that is one very fine guitar indeed....... but by god I want one of those cases!!!
  • Wolfi59Wolfi59 GermanyNew
    martin b wrote:
    I have no doubt that is one very fine guitar indeed....... but by god I want one of those cases!!!

Hi martin b, no problem … you can have the case for … mmhhh … let´s say 2.499 Euro. And as a free extra I will fill the empty room inside with an AJL guitar :-)
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Just out of curiosity, since there is clearly a trend towards wines and spirits for model's names like VR, XO or "Nouveau": do you also get a bottle of Cognac with AJL's XO?
    - JG
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, since there is clearly a trend towards wines and spirits for model's names like VR, XO or "Nouveau": do you also get a bottle of Cognac with AJL's XO?

my 503 is the "normal" model, not the "XO" model. And I did not get a bottle of cognac with my guitar. Not even with my new AJL Gypsy Fire … :( I will instantly contact Ari-Jukka and complain about ;-) And as the guitar was built in Finland, I would prefer a good bottle of finish schnapps or "moonshine" (with minimum 50% alc) …
    I added a short audio clip to the first post. Recorded on the fly with my Tascam DR-07 ...
    GORGEOUS back on that. Love it. Good luck on your sale.
    Get in touch to jam if you're in the NYC area!