DjangoBooks.com

Two questions on technique

TommasinoTommasino Alexandria, VANew
edited January 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 30
1 - Accompaniment question. When performing a fill-in triplet landing on the next downbeat, what is the appropriate right-hand picking sequence - is is up-down-up/down or is it the opposite, which would make the downbeat happen on an upstroke?

2 - Chromatic descending tremolo. Such as that performed around bar 8 of Django's solo in Some Of These Days - which starts on the high e and ends on the g# one octave and a sixth below. I have heard he would use his second finger on a string and slide it down the neck while tremoloing with the right hand; is this true and, if so, how does he transition to the required chromatic sixth so damn smoothly?

Thanks for shedding some light on this!

Tom

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Tommasino wrote:
    1 - Accompaniment question. When performing a fill-in triplet landing on the next downbeat, what is the appropriate right-hand picking sequence - is is up-down-up/down or is it the opposite, which would make the downbeat happen on an upstroke?

2 - Chromatic descending tremolo. Such as that performed around bar 8 of Django's solo in Some Of These Days - which starts on the high e and ends on the g# one octave and a sixth below. I have heard he would use his second finger on a string and slide it down the neck while tremoloing with the right hand; is this true and, if so, how does he transition to the required chromatic sixth so damn smoothly?

Thanks for shedding some light on this!

Tom

1- both can be done, although straight alternate picking is more common. (DUDU)

2- i believe django starts with the second finger (first note) but descends with the index.. i dont think he tremolo picks descending chromatics, they're fairly accurate whenever he does