DjangoBooks.com

What Were Your Most Instructive Non-Django CDs?

ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
edited January 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 551
What are your top recommendations for CDs to learn from? I am looking for the ones that have that Gypsy feeling - heart - to them, so please leave off those with bebop influences...

So far it is both Cds by Tchavolo...what would be next?

Thanks!

Comments

• RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Gypsy Guitars - Angelo Debarre and Serge Camps

The Matelo Ferre Album with Montaine St Genevere on it
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    RKatz wrote:
    Gypsy Guitars - Angelo Debarre and Serge Camps
    The Matelo Ferre Album with Montaine St Genevere on it

Yes! Gyspy Guitars is essential, absolutely. Tziganskaia is the Matelot album. Available in the shop:
    http://tinyurl.com/cdqgg
    A must have as well.

What else? For me, the MDZ set was a revelation (especially if you're interested in the gypsy side of gypsy jazz):
    http://tinyurl.com/dvshq
    Absolutely killing stuff, with a completely different vibe from the French players. You can also buy them separately if breaking the bank is an issue, but you'll want them all eventually.

Any Titi Winterstein albums you can get your hands on will serve you well, and keep an eye out for anything from WASO (tougher to find these days).

One other thing: When you write " So far it is both Cds by Tchavolo", are you talking about Alors?...Voila! and Gypsy Reunion? If you like Tchavolo, you might check this out for some live recordings (I think this is legit, but if not feel free to delete the link, Michael):
    http://chtigadjo.free.fr/Tchavolo/

In the meantime enjoy,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Tchavolo has way more than two Cds out - if only he played more than two CDs' worth of unique solos :(
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    So far I was thinking of the Alors and Lautcha for Tchavolo.

Thanks for the tips - I am trying not to get too "overexposed", since I'm just starting out learning and want to stick to a few great idols and am up to my ears in the JSP Django first box set (and am already becoming a pre-war snob, although I have no right to be at this point!)

How about Romane or Mandino?
    both of those sound good, I'd always highly recommend Manouche Partie by Jo Privat, the tempos are a little more relaxed and are a lot easier to play along with than some of the really quick fellas like Angelo.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Elliot wrote:

How about Romane or Mandino?

romane's live in nashville is really good and there's even a video of it.... acoustic quartet is great too

as far as i m concerned i learned the most from "live at the northsea jazz festival 1992" by the rosenberg trio, and "jimmy rosenberg: the one and only"

actually i learned the most from every single cd i have (i need to start incorporating those yngwie licks), they all have something to offer... i make it an effort to listen to have my guitar around when i listen to music, that way, when i hear a cool phrase, i can rip it off directly....
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Hey Jack, those Tchavolo recordings are great. The Samois recordings have been around for a while, but the Live a La Citée de la Musique in Paris is new to me. Grabbed them all and have been listening to the today. Anyone want to help me fill in the track names. I might not be right about all of these.

1. ?
    2. What a Diffrence a Day Made
    3. Valse a Dora
    4. Them There Eyes
    5. Seul ce Soir
    6. ?
    7. Menilmontant
    8. ?
    9. Some of These Days
    10. Menilmontant (take 2)
    11. Stompin at Decca
    12. Les Yeux Noir
    13. Les Yeux Noir (take 2)

Craig
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    Tchavolo has way more than two Cds out - if only he played more than two CDs' worth of unique solos

I seem to remember similar charges being laid at the master himself (as in pulling out the same tired cliches). Besides, if you had read the liner to his latest album you would know that everyone who has ever even heard a guitar of any kind played anywhere in the world agrees that tchavolo is the best guitarist alive today.

/I love t.s but those liner notes are ridiculous in their effusive praise of him.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Kcox wrote:
    Besides, if you had read the liner to his latest album you would know that everyone who has ever even heard a guitar of any kind played anywhere in the world agrees that tchavolo is the best guitarist alive today.

lol
  • ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    Damn, I haven't had read the liner notes but that "Tchavolo does not play gipsy jazz, he IS the gispy jazz" is really too much :) I love the guitarist but this is absurd.

To get back to the point I think a good CD to learn from is Oe Djovia, where Fapy is playing aside a singer (bamboulat ferret) ans his lines are pure genius mixing simplicity and effectiveness.

MP me if you're interested.
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com