DjangoBooks.com

anyone know how to find this video?

mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
edited April 2013 in Welcome Posts: 52
Hi folks,

Sorry if this seems random, but here it goes:

I am looking for a Youtube video I saw last year of (I believe) Les Yeux Noir that was shot inside a gypsy trailer (I am thinking Tchavolo, but I might be wrong). It was definitely produced, not an amateurish video. Place was packed- there were people inside and outside of the trailer playing as well. I seem to remember a trombone in the mix to boot. It captured the spirit of this music beautifully.

It was a very exciting and captivating clip and I have been wanting to see it again. Especially since the jam I hosted this Sunday led to a pretty full living room- I kept thinking about those people playing outside the window and cracking up, to myself anyway.

Anybody know this, and how to find it? I have been searching, but my basket is empty.

Much obliged,
Mike

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Mike, the movie is Swing, by Tony Gatlif. Love this film. Tchavolo's a great actor! If you don't know of him, Tony Gatlif (Algerian-Romany) has done a number of wonderful films, I've seen 3 of them (this one, Latcho Drom, Korkoro).
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow that's a cool one. Never seen it before. Tchavalo is a good actor.

Does anyone know the name of the opening song?

thanks
    Bones wrote:
    Wow that's a cool one. Never seen it before. Tchavalo is a good actor.

Does anyone know the name of the opening song?

thanks

Hey bones - the opening tune is Mira Pral - Mandino's composition. Agreed, Tchavolo's great in front of a camera!
    -Paul

• BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks Paul.

I wish I spoke French but I think I got the gist of the plot.
  • mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
    You rock, Paul. I knew someone here would know what the heck I was talking about. I didn't know about Tony Gatlif but know of Latcho Drom. He certainly has excellent musical taste, I'll say that!

Bones- likewise! my command of French will get me the right color wine and that's about it:)
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Check out Gadjo Dilo too. Made in 1997 between Latcho Drom(1993) and Swing (2002). An interesting story about a young man who goes on a journey that leads him into the Gypsy world. In English called "Crazy Gadjo" or "Crazy Stranger". All Tony Gatlif films are worth checking out. AE
    Check out Gadjo Dilo too. Made in 1997 between Latcho Drom(1993) and Swing (2002). An interesting story about a young man who goes on a journey that leads him into the Gypsy world. In English called "Crazy Gadjo" or "Crazy Stranger". All Tony Gatlif films are worth checking out. AE

Hey Eddy, out of town for the week, playing catchup...is this the one where a father, something like that, falls madly for a chanteuse?

Edit: Sorry, obvious find, Eddy. I thought I had this on my Netflix queue, been there awhile, but afraid I may have waited too long, because I don't see it now, unless I had it on Amazon....don't watch as much as I used to....I think I added it around the time I first watched Korkoro. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, will do some digging.

Paul
    -Paul