DjangoBooks.com

Stock Strings for My Gitane DG-255

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
I just picked up a used Gitane DG-255 in excellent condition and the neck seems quite straight as the techs where I bought it adjusted it nicely. I'm a long time guitarist but just getting started with GJ and would like to stay with the same gauge that came on the guitar. Does anybody know what the stock size might be? Any recommendations on what size is best for this guitar or a beginning GJ player? I'm probably going to go with a set of D'Addario GJ and Galli just to try out a couple over the next few months. I normally use D'Addario 80/20 Bronze Custon Light 11-52 on my old Martin 00-18.

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Standard folk guitar strings are too high tensioned and sound poor on these guitars. The most popular type of strings for gypsy guitars are : Argentine loop end 10's. They'll give you the right tension and a snappy sound.You can purchase them through the Store section of this website. Michael has excellent prices and quick service. Get a 3.5 mm Wegen pick while you're at it.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Not sure what stock Gitanes come with, but I've seen some stores string them up with regular bronze acoustic strings which sound and feel terrible on GJ guitars. +1 on loop end Argentines (I prefer 11 guage) and experiment with the picks. I personally found the 3.50 Wegen too thick, but they seem to be quite popular (2.5mm I can handle). Haven't tried any of the other brand GJ strings, but have had good luck with the Argies and I think they're what Django and his contemporaries used (Michael Dregni has a photo of an old Argentine package from that era in one of his books). The G strings wear out faster than the others for some reason, so I order extra Gs from Michael, but I leave them on as long as possible (prefer the sound of worn in strings).
    Swang on,
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    According to the Sega Gitane website:

http://www.sagamusic.com/products/produ ... tem=DG-255

the specs call for

drum roll please

Recommended Strings Parisian by Gitane® Manouche Strings - Medium Gauge

I would agree with Heretic and go with the Argentines. Ive been happy with the 10 gauge but havn't tried the 11's. I'd also go thru Djangobooks store. Great Prices fast shipping and as you already know a great place to hang for all things G J

Store link: click on single or bulk for details:
    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Cat ... ne-strings
    pickitjohn
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Thanks for the advice! I picked up a set of D'Addario locally as my G string was "fraying". I went with the medium (11s) as that is what Saga says come with my DG 255 on their web site. Now off to work on learning Minor Swing, Nuages and Coquette, as well as the picking exercises in Michael's book, Gypsy Picking. Thanks to the Gonzalo Bergara Quartet in Monterey, CA a month ago for inspiring me.