DjangoBooks.com

Tone difference between Dupont and Dell'Arte bridge?

I'm trying to get warmer tone out of my guitar.
I'm already using silk & steel strings and a pick that gave me very nice results but I figure if there's something I can do with a new bridge I'll try it.
I already have a rosewood bridge on the guitar so I don't know how much and if any difference can be made?
But I was wondering if there are any tonal differences between these two bridges, Dupont and Dell'Arte?
I will buy one and have a tech experiment a little, he has a few ideas.
I wanted to have him fit another bridge for lower action anyway.

Thanks

edit: I found this on ebay too, anyone knows about these bridges?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GYPSY-JAZZ-LH-3 ... 4172ad4786
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Dell Arte bridges are quit a bit heavier an bulkier....they tend to mute the top quite a bit so they'd be good if you have a guitar that has an over excited top. But for most, the light weight Dupont design is superior as it allows the top to resonate more efficiently thereby increasing tone and volume.
    Buco
    Of course it would be best to try both and experiment but I doubt that's gonna happen.
    I'll have to do some thinking and pick what me or my tech thinks would be a better way to go.

Great description though, thanks Michael.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I agree with Michael, the Dupont bridge will almost certainly sound better than a Dell Arte bridge, all other things being equal.

What kind of guitar, Buco? Josh Hegg was making bridges for Gitanes when I first got into this, and they were a fair improvement over the dire bridges that Gitane was putting on their guitars a few years ago. I have no idea if he still makes them. Rodrigo Shopis can make a bridge to spec, but I know he's pretty busy right now. If you aren't in a hurry, that might be a good option. And if you are going to Django in June with the offending guitar, he could probably look it over there and get all the measurements.
    Buco
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    It's made by Risto Ivanovski. It's a great sounding guitar, I'd say it's a traditional sounding Selmer tone though I don't have much experience and haven't heard many guitars I could compare it.
    I am going to Django in June, I'll keep that in mind. It would be cool to hear what some of the pros think.
    I talked to Geoff (you recommended him to me) and he'd be fitting the bridge.

Thanks
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Buco, you prefer silk & steel to gypsy jazz strings? Do they have any 'snarl'?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    I don't know...I think it's got snarl. You'll hear it in June.
    I'm using Galli's GSL10 now.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    [ quote="Buco"]
    edit: I found this on ebay too, anyone knows about these bridges?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GYPSY-JAZZ-LH-3 ... 4172ad4786[/quote]

That bridge is for a lefthanded guitar.
    Buco
    pinkgary wrote:

That bridge is for a lefthanded guitar.
    Ahhh that's a good catch, thanks for the heads up. He does have a right handed one too.
    I agree with Michael, the Dupont bridge will almost certainly sound better than a Dell Arte bridge, all other things being equal.

What kind of guitar, Buco? Josh Hegg was making bridges for Gitanes when I first got into this, and they were a fair improvement over the dire bridges that Gitane was putting on their guitars a few years ago. I have no idea if he still makes them. Rodrigo Shopis can make a bridge to spec, but I know he's pretty busy right now. If you aren't in a hurry, that might be a good option. And if you are going to Django in June with the offending guitar, he could probably look it over there and get all the measurements.
    Think Rodrigo Shopis will be there? I'm guessing you know it as a fact.
    That's great, I wouldn't mind waiting if he were willing to check it out and make me a custom bridge.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I do know that as a fact. He'll be there.

BTW, sent you a PM.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.