DjangoBooks.com

Getting started with Gypsy Jazz

edited January 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 4
Hello everyone. I've been playing the guitar for about 7 years now, jazz for about 2 years. I have a very good understanding of music theory, and I can improvise something meaningfully over most jazz standards. Before I fully converted over to jazz guitar, I was playing shred guitar... for 3 about years, Malmsteen, Becker, Steve Vai, and such, which has helped me build a lot of speed in both my left and right hand. I really love gypsy jazz, and I'm wondering if any of you could help point me in the right direction. What are some of the cliché ideas/licks? How should I start? Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Comments

• AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    What made you want to play gypsy-style?
    Ando wrote:
    What made you want to play gypsy-style?

I don't see how that really matters? The music has so much life to it. Why do you like it ?
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I think the best place to start since you have a decent background in the theoretical applications, is to really study the right hand technique (for lead and most importantly Rhythm). that will get you sounding as authenitic as possible. thats not to say that none of your old lines won't work, I love throwing in bop lines and modern lines when I play, but the right hand is really important. I would also say take some solos be they Django's or any other player you really like and analyze them and see what the masters are really doing. Check out the Bireli live in Vienne dvd. Go see some live Gypsy Jazz if you can. those I think would be the best place to start. Depending where you live you might find a teacher near you that can show you a lot of the techniques. There are a few things that are idiomatic to this style that aren't so prevalent in other guitar styles.

Hell why beat around the bush buy Michaels book. It is a great resource.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
    CalebFSU - Thanks for the information. I will focus and try to learn as much about the right hand technique as possible, and just start transcribing from gypsy players.