DjangoBooks.com

Rhythm Bitches, what pickup do you use?

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
Our band has been playing in bigger and louder venues lately, and at the last gig, my Ischell/Schertler Unico combination was a bit overwhelmed. If I upped the amp, I got bad feedback, and when I dropped the volume, my bandmates had serious problems hearing me. I also has a mic on the guitar, so the audience heard things fine...just not us. I've been talking with Michael, and it seems I am going to have to take the dreaded step and get a magnetic pickup. Ugh!

I want to make clear that I am strictly a rhythm guy in the band, so I am looking for what has worked for you guys for rhythm...forget the single note stuff. I want the warmest, least electric sound I can get, which is a pipe dream, of course. I should add that I loath Stimers, and think that if Django hadn't played one, they would sell for $1.98 at flea markets everywhere. I have a variety of guitars, so something that adapts well to different sound holes, etc., would be nice.

So what works for you for the best rhythm sound? Warmth and balance are important for me, and a clean sound as well. I am a guitar guy, but I know little to nothing about amps and pickups for acoustic guitars. Any advice you can give would be gratefully received.

Michael
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Michael, if you don't like Stimer, you probably would not like the Peche a la Mouche either. I'd suggest you try a Krivo - much less electric sounding but still capable of high volume without feedback. As you know Michael H's trial period on amps and pickups is very generous.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles