DjangoBooks.com

manouche modele jazz moreno model..

13»

Comments

• favino881favino881 Strasbourg, France✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few pics of mine. Still don't know what year it was made in... :-(
    Samson2.jpg
    Samson1.jpg
    Samson3.jpg
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    yeah my number is right around where the "Samson" sign is.
    WHERE have these "Vintage Strings" Guitar been made, and by whom?

Thanks! ... J-D.
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    They have become JWC guitars after a parting of the ways a couple of years ago.

'Vintage Strings' doesn't mean anything, I think it's a bit of marketing fluff (along with the schoolboy errors in French on my Ferre` [sic] Brothers model :) ). Manouche Guitars was the name of the original company.

PS #238 says hello to the other members of the Manouche sorority. Louder than life!
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I was told by someone who was in a position to know that the original guitars were made at the Takamine factory, to Manouche's specs, then shipped, sans hardware, to England, where the hardware was installed and the guitars were set up to play.

I guess you could say they morphed into JWC guitars, but the original intent was for John to have a company called Belleville Guitars, which was going to try to recreate the mojo of those early Manouche Morenos, while Tony was going ahead with luthier made JWC Guitars.

JWC has clearly survived. Belleville Guitars seems to have died on the vine. Too bad, too, because those early Moreno models, once the inevitable neck hump was addressed, were really good guitars for the money, light years ahead of contemporary Gitanes.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    WHERE have these "Vintage Strings" Guitar been made, and by whom?

Thanks! ... J-D.
    I believe they were made in Korea.

I used to own #38. Sold it, and I often wish I had kept it. I got it dirt cheap, because it had been used by the distributor as a demo, and it had the dreaded fretboard hump over the neck block, but a little fret work helped with that.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • delb0ydelb0y ✭✭
    Please tell me more about the "inevitable" and "dreaded" fretboard hump. Think I might have a little of that. Is this peculiar to the modele jazz or all guitars of this ilk? And what's the cure?

Cheers
    Derek
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Up around the 12-15 fret area, you will sometimes see a bit of a hump in the fretboard which pushes the frets higher. In extreme cases, it can affect playability. I believe they can be caused by overhumidification or the tension created by a truss rod. Bob Holo and other builders on this forum can answer that better than I. If it's not too extreme, a fret dressing can alleviate the playability issues.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    edited June 2016 Posts: 119
    #MNA-084 alive and well in Portland, Oregon. Acquired in a trade today. 12 fret D-Hole. Needs some fret work (hopefully that's it) but sounds great as is. Has Bigtone which I plan to replace with a Dupont or Dell'arte bridge. I am really excited about this guitar and plan to post more about it soon.
    Buco