DjangoBooks.com

Who makes this guitar? Anyone recognize it?

While watching YouTube videos I stumbled upon a Spanish musician named Javier Sanchez who (among other genres) plays wonderful Gypsy Jazz. His band in Madrid is called "Ménilmontant Swing." I realize YouTube videos aren't the best way to judge the sound of a guitar, but I have to say that his tone is amazing. I have no idea what make or model it is but it appears to have a cedar top. If you look at the comments section of his videos you'll see that numerous people have asked him about his guitar but he never replies.

Does anyone have and idea of the make and model? Handmade by another brilliant Spanish Luthier perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbOXBAS0oHM

The only identifying mark is an inlayed portrait of Django on the headstock. However, this could be a decal he added himself.

Comments

• kw3rdkw3rd New
    The Headstock:
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    I wouldn't be surprised if this guitar was made by a local luthier, maybe even by a friend of the guy playing it. I've never seen a selmer guitar with a picture of django on the headstock, but I'm no expert. It does sound good, though often that's just due to the players technique.

Anybody ?

Anthony
  • kw3rdkw3rd New
    I'm struck by how well rounded the guitar sounds. From chord work to single notes it just sounds wonderful. You never forget its a selmer style guitar either.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Courtesy of Javier Sanchez from a Facebook inquiry: Gerónimo Mateos modelo Jazz B http://geronimomateos.com/guitarras/guitarras-de-jazz-manouche/guitarra-manouche-modelo-jazz-b/index.html
    Javier is an accomplished guitarist in many styles as evidenced by his YouTube posts. He does quite a nice version of Jimi Hendrix' "Little Wing" which, IMHO, is one of the yardsticks of a rock guitarists ability. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDL1C9i1qs3RcV_6IESPoSA
    There is an interesting bridge pick up on this page http://geronimomateos.com/accesorios/index.html. Are there others of this type available?
  • kw3rdkw3rd New
    Thank you for that info! I asked him on his facebook page but never got a reply. Looks like there's a Mateos in my future!
  • kw3rdkw3rd New
    interestingly, the specs on this guitar differ depending on which site you view it.

gypsyguitar.de says it's a solid spruce top, Bubinga back and sides, and mahagony neck.

Mateos own website (via a rather confusing google translate) says

Sides: Laminated Maple Walnut with soul and inner Mahogany

Background: Laminate Walnut with Maple and inner soul of Mahogany

Handle: Walnut

Finish: polyurethane lacquer crankpin (Crankpin?)

anyone make sense of this?
    My best Spanish translation:
    Abeto: Spruce
    Nogal con alma de Arce e interior de Caoba: Walnut with "soul" of maple and interior of mahogany. Perhaps it refers to the layers of the laminate.
    Aros: Laminado de Nogal con alma de Arce e interior de Caoba: Sides with the above laminates.
    Mango: Nogal: Walnut neck?
    Fondo: The back of the guitar.
    Diapasón: Fretboard of ebony.
    Laca de poliuretano a muñequilla: Polyurethane Laquer by "hand". Muneca refers to the wrist with the addtion of "illa", which is normally a diminutive suffix.
    Alma: Regulable de doble sentido;
    Puente: Ébano: The bridge is ebony and adjustable in both directions.
    Some guesswork was used in my translation!
  • kw3rdkw3rd New
    Thanks!.

I wonder why these specs are so completely different from the Jazz B model on other sites? Walnut a opposed to mahogany etc? Is the Geronimo Mateos now just another chinese import who licensed the name of the luthier? The guitar on Mateos website, and the guitar on Javier's video appear the same, but they are also obviously different from this one.

http://www.gypsyguitar.de/index.php?pag ... =4&lang=en
  • I have a Mateos guitar and it is awesome. I also know personally some guitar makers and they make guitars out of all kinds of wood. I asked one of them and he decides what kind of wood he uses either by the price or availability of the wood at the time or he just feels like making one out of a certain kind. I believe Geronimo does this and this is just my opinion. My guitar maker friends said that they would still call it by the same name even if the wood is different as long as it is the same style guitar.