DjangoBooks.com

SOLD '58 Epiphone Triumph cutaway FS (or trade) SOLD

MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
edited March 2014 in Classifieds Posts: 108
I have a very nice Epiphone archtop for sale, it's on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/161102989216?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Carved top large body Epiphone made shortly after Gibson took Epiphone over, acoustic, never had a permanent pickup. Would like to sell or will consider trade for gypsy jazz guitar or perhaps another archtop. This guitar is great for someone who has small hands, narrow neck, excellent sound. PM if interested, thanks!

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    That is one sweet-looking Epi, Mark... speaking as a former owner of a 40's era "Blackstone".

When I had my Epi, alas, I never tried this, but I've always wondered--- what would it sound like if you put a set of GJ strings on it?

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Will, I haven't tried it either, I think the GJ strings would not be heavy enough to get the volume and tone the archtops are capable of. I usually use 13s, sometimes 14s. While GJ strings might not work well, two of the pickups that are excellent on GJ guitars I have found work very well on these old Epiphones (a Krivo and an Ischell).
    thanks,
    Mark
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I would agree with that. Gypsy strings are too light to drive the top. If you're going to play it acoustic, the heaviest bronze strings you can stand are your best bet. I use 13s on my '46 Epiphone Trimuph, used to use 14s but they were too much for four hour dances.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Oh yeah, I know that you're supposed to use heavy strings to drive that top, but I just wonder if the GJ strings just might sound good anyway...?

Those heavy gauge strings are really hard on your LH, that's the main reason that I stopped playing my arch top... with these gypsy guitars and the light strings, I figure I'll still be able to play until I'm 90...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Will take $2500 plus shipping. I also have a Pick Up the World archtop pickup and powerplug which I'll include for another $200, barely used, sounds great, got the pickup at archtop.com. Thanks!