DjangoBooks.com

The curse of the play along CD...

matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 67
I've been working on "Angelo Waltz" from the book "Gypsy Guitar: The Secrets". I was pleased with my progress and decided to try to play along with the CD... nope! Not ready yet.

The play along CD can be very daunting. Never stopping. Never off time. It waits for no man, one stumble of the fingers and you are left behind...

But hey, I'll get there!
Buco

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Wish it all went to soundslice automatically.

Chords, Tab, and Slooooow Down 50%

Sure is a great teaching tool.

Thanks Adrian

pick on

pickitjohn
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    How does soundslice work? Can we use it on any songs we want? Just youtube?
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    The program called "Transcribe" also allows you to slow down the audio while retaining pitch.
    I heard Windows Media Player also can do this, but I haven't figured out how to do it.

I use "Transcribe" every practice session, not just for playing along with solos, but also when there is a backing track that is at a challenging tempo or has many chord changes. So I can slow it down, practice comfortably and then gradually increase the tempo.

It is much more motivating to play along with audio than metronome. And when you can slow it down to a comfortable level, it helps with the motivation because it sounds like music in that context and not just notes over the metronomes dreadful "tick tock tick tock..."
  • LeeWinterLeeWinter New
    Hi, you might have seen it but iv been using a new app on my phone Gypsy Jazz Jam its free with a couple of tunes Minor Swing and Swing 42 then you can buy 5 more tunes. it has tempo adjustments and loops.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gypsyja ... 87215?mt=8
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hiya7

to become a bad Gypsy jazz player would be a fine accomplishment!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    I've just gotta recommend an excellent Canadian product called Band In A Box

http://www.pgmusic.com

You plug in the chords, tempo and number of choruses... then pick up your guitar and solo away happily while Gonzalo Bergara and Simon Planting's synthesized ghosts accompany your brilliant solo.

WAY more fun than a metronome!

If you want to hear what these backing tracks sound like, check out some of the samples I've posted in the forum called "Daniel Givone method users group".

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12352

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    If you have an iPad, there's a great app called Anytune Pro for $4.99. It does everything Amazing Slow Downer does and more, and it has a really nice graphic interface.

http://www.anytune.us
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    If you're comfortable with a bit of code and/or plug-in wrangling and you use a Windows PC or if you use a Mac and are capable of porting it from the source code, you can get the Paul's module for Audacity and do incredibly high resolution slowed-down tracks. It's not as simple as sliding a bar - there are a few variables to play with, but it's not rocket science. So, if you wanted to spend some time and create multiple versions of an audio file at various speeds in high quality... well, this is a good tool. But again, YMMV depending on your level of comfort with computers and the time you're willing to put into it. I wish I could find a slowdowner for Fidelia... damn that is a wonderful audio front-end. It's pitch control plugin is just short of amazing for high quality playback of QHCF at A=440 which ... is probably sacrilege, but easier than re-tuning the guitar. Most importantly (for me) Fidelia runs on Macs. Maybe I should start running Windows in parallel.

Anyway...

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

Ever wonder what a 24 minute version of "Let it Be" might sound like?

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I never realized how out of tune Paul's singing is hahaha.
  • Hey Ben

I have an iPad. Apparently it doesnt do an iTunes document. Do you know what that means.

All my music is in iTunes so I am probably just being a technopeasant. I could really use the program but am a bit confused. :mrgreen:

I am trying to learn Parkers Mood atm and the omnibook notes aren't quite the same as what he is playing.
    bbwood_98
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Impressive Bob. I had decent results with one of the built-in time stretch effects on Audacity (on linux) but never bothered going below 50% tempo ... I'll try and compile this one as soon as I've installed Ubuntu 13.10 (releasing in half an hour!)