DjangoBooks.com

A couple of my favorites

matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Photos Posts: 67
A couple of my favorites
Tagged:

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    The bottom photo was taken at the Normandie Cinema in Paris in 1940 at what was probably the first concert by the New Quintet.

Here is one of them in their dressing room at that concert.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    .....and another one in the dressing room.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    In the photo from the Normandie Cinema, it looks like Django is playing a SUNBURST, or "shade top" Selmer. That seems quite unusual. Did they make many sunbursts?

Swang on,
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I love the one where they're crowding around the music. A lot of supposedly candid photos from that era seem a bit staged. Maybe portable photography was still a new enough concept that people still thought of photos as portraits.

But that one looks relatively natural and seeing Django & the guys like that is... really fun. I can't count the number of times I've seen bands back in a greenroom doing pretty much exactly what they're doing in that photo - crowding around a setlist or chart and the lead guitarist is saying something like: "OK, third chorus is the walkdown and then the guest and I take fours until the signal and then a big bass punch coming out of the fours and straight into the head-out which is all hands on deck and 3x on the outro...

It's like seeing a sports team huddle and talk strategy and call plays. I just love it - probably because I wanted to be a musician. Who knows. It's a cool picture though - thanks for posting it.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Bob, they're actually huddled over a contract for an upcoming tour of the UK.

Django is saying "And so I crossed out this paragraph!"

And the other guys are saying "The paragraph that guaranteed us first class accommodations?"
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Lol....
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.