DjangoBooks.com

Rosenberg Trio: Sweet Georgia Brown

V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 325
I have always had trouble with this song: those multiple dominant chords all in a row for 4 bars at a time are pretty unique, and most of my regular tricks dont work on them.

So I pulled out PowerTab and got to work on the Rosenberg Trio's version on "Live at the North Sea Jazz festival". I figured it would be a waste if no one else was able to use it. Excellent ideas in this, check it out:

http://www.anouman.net/blog/files/powertab/Sweet%20Georgia%20Brown.ptb

Check out that great decending chromatic lick he does over that tricky turnaround at the end of the first chorus.

As with all of this stuff, pay attention to the underlying chord shapes for each phrase. Its really the best way to internalize where certain licks go.

Stochelo repeats himself a few times in this solo, but he plays it so damn fast, who would notice?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    those dominant changes are actually a big substitution for something even simpler:

one bar of G, one bar of E7, half a bar of Am7 half D7, one bar G

try improvising over those instead , it'll work over the descending chromatic line, it's what everyone else does when not relying on those cool rosenberg style riffs
  • woodshedderwoodshedder FlorenceNew
    any way you guys could post a screen cap of the powertab file for us mac users?

doh

thanks!

d
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    You can download a whole bunch of powertab files (including Sweet Georgia) in a format that's Mac friendly here:
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/powertab.html
    Follow the instructions at the top of the page.

Best,
    Jack.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi Jack,

Sorry, but I didn´t get it yet. How can I make that tabs available for my Mac? I downloaded the tableEdit Viewer but I can only can download powertab files files that my Mac cannot read. :cry:

Best,
    Barengero
    Barengero,

I think Steve made them available as html/midi pages here:
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/powertabmusicfiles.ZIP

Not as handy as powertab, I know. I'm not sure if Steve has a separate bunch of Tabledit files-it's a bit confusing now that I look at closer. I'll send a message his way through the UK site asking if there's another page and how to get to the goods...

Best,
    Jack.
  • ZootZoot On the edgeNew Aylward Petite Bouche, Castelluccia
    Hi Guys
    Jack caught me just as i was about to go to bed.

I've put a handy little php file in the directory so you Mac guys can dload the individual files as required.
    All table edit files were made using an automatic converter script from powertab to tef file.
    Not all table edit files correspond to powertab files as more powertabs have been added since I ran the script.

www.hotclub.co.uk/ptab/download.php

Enjoy and good night
    Steve
    Thanks, Steve-Djangobooks owes you one.

Good night, sweet prince!
    Jack.
  • woodshedderwoodshedder FlorenceNew
    mwah ( on the cheek, that is ). your a gentleman and a scholar...i don't care what justjack says aboot ya. thanks!