DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG-340 Modele Stephane Wrembel Model

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
I have a chance to upgrade my Gitane DG-255 for the DG-340 Stephane Wrembel Model and am looking for feedback from anybody who knows or owns the DG-340. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks/merci/gracias

Comments

• John418John418
    I got my new about a year and a half ago. I've been playing guitar for a bit over 30 years (rock, blues, jazzy jam stuff) but I was just beginning this style at that time. The guitar has worked quite well for me and I like it more and more over time. It really dislikes extremely dry weather, I've noticed. I really need to keep it humidified this winter.

Depending on how well I'm playing, the tone can really hold up with the best luthier-built guitars I've played over the past few years (mainly at Django in June 2012 and 2013). The tone isn't as barky as some but I wouldn't call it quiet. Other players at DiJ seemed to like it as well. I also really prefer the silver hardware, plain neck style.

I prefer the action over most guitars I've played. I got the guitar from Michael with the special setup by Josh Hegg. I've heard that replacing the stock bridge with a better, fitted one (part of what Josh did) makes all the difference with these guitars. You may have already done this with your Gitane.

I do plan on getting a luthier built guitar at some point. Looking at ALD, Freschi, AJL, Olivier Marin, or Hahl (if I hit the lottery). But with the Wrembel Gitane, and having played a few other supposedly 'better' instruments, I'm really not in any huge rush. I play about 20 hours a week, typically. And it goes without saying, the guitar is still better than me at this point.

John
  • Il TrovatoreIl Trovatore San Jose, CANew
    I also own one of these and bought it brand new, about 2 years ago.
    I was attracted to the sound, the silver hardware, I liked the wood it was made of and I could afford it. I also really like the stepped bridge. I have since replaced the tuners with Schaller silver closed tuners and a new Dupont DR Tailpiece in silver which helped with "hum" of the stock one. The guitar was very "wet" when I first got it but a lot of those over tones have gone way. I love this guitar looks and sound, it does have a very "arch top" sound like Michael put it and I love it.
    _NCD
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Thanks guys, made an offer and haven't heard anything from the seller. I like my Gitane DG-255 and it is in great shape, so I won't be disappointed if I don't get the DG-340. Both guitars play better than I do, so I am in no hurry to upgrade.
    As a total side note, if you ever come over to San Jose to play with me, you can try mine out.
  • fogbernfogbern New
    I'm considering buying a used DG-340 that has become available locally. But as a beginner, I'm thinking a shorter scale guitar might be a better choice. I'm currently playing a 12 fret nylon string hybrid, So this would be my first GJ guitar.Thoughts?
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    DG-500
    I'm considering selling mine if you are interested.
    Let me know. Great shape, upgraded parts.