DjangoBooks.com

people who play only rhythm or only lead .. discuss

Comments

• Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Here are a couple of my favorite vids of his (not that I've found that many):

I would love to hear a CD by the man.

Charlie
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Romain kicks butt, you can see him play pretty regularly on the paris scene (l'apostrophe, taverne de cluny, APJ, les idiots). I agree he's got a great rhythm sound too!
    I like Yannick Alcocer rhythm sound and to my surprise he's a butt-kicking lead player too, he just doesn't take solo on stage with lddlh because, in his own words, "I'm the rhythm player".
    Samy dassaut another favourite rhythm player who is strong lead. Really makes me wonder just how well guys like nousche, chatelain, hono might play some lead and we just don't see it in public ..
  • BonesBones Moderator
    does anyone know the name of this song?

thanks

Shown here, for anyone interested (Romain on lead):

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    gipsy swing (Samson Schmitt)

• BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks!

Does anyone have a lead sheet?
    Hey there, for those who are interested, my album is ready !! good old swing !!
    for those who wanna order it please send me a message on https://www.facebook.com/romainvuilleminquartet

And to answer the question yes i keep doing Rythm and Solo, i'm rythm bitching for only Ritary at the moment but i really like doing it so when Adrien Moignard calls me i'm always happy to comp for him, he's a great player !!
    Solo and rythm are so diferent and both great !! i really like being only rythm player because you focus on only the best way to make the entire band sound great !! you'll need to give a perfect drive to the soloists so they can do whatever they feel like doing, either playing 100 notes, or 3 ... When the rythm is great in the back, the soloist can decide to use a lot the silence in his choruses, cause the rythm in the back is wonderfull.. sometimes when Hervé gaguenetti and I are playing, his rythm is so great (sound and drive) that i'll just bend a note django style and keep the solo breath during 3 or 4 bars... and that would be more complicated with a bad rythm guy and i'd feel like covering his rythm by putting many solo notes, and sometime too many to be musical

Romain
    Jazzaferriadrianpickitjohn
  • When the players are technically adept and musical, the song seems to lead the way.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Man that swings, Romain... ;-) ;-) ;-)

Big old grin just watching you go. You love what you do and you're d*mned good at it. That's the secret to life!
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Oh yeahh Bob !! Django will never die !!
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    What about lead rhythm playing like chord melodies i.e. "Tears" etc... I think most accomplished players can do both well, obviously there are 'rhythm only' ones which from some of the most famous ones appear to do nothing but just that. But adding 'rhythm' to lead playing is common. ..