DjangoBooks.com

rino's debut album and mini lesson!!

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Beautiful back-up for the Rino's Harmonics solo, you really let Him shine.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

Yes, this kind of accompaniment seems to be an endangered species nowadays.

Anyone who has seen Denis play at DiJ knows what a great soloist he is... not to mention... umm, how can I say this? he is by nature somewhat of a smartass naughty-boy kind of cat... (I mean that in the best possible way, of course! :roll: )

Thus his leadership of, and sensitive contribution to, the group shows an unexpected generosity of spirit. Well done, Chang-o!

Your fan,

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree, Will. The man is very unassuming and absolutely kicks ass on soloing - but I think he loves rhythm a bunch. I think he can sit anywhere on any stage and take center seat, but he's just not concerned to follow that course. We all benefit because agreed, he's one of the most generous guys I've ever known.

I can't wait for this. Rino seems to be another soul content to make music, without the need to pursue all its worldly trappings. Between this, his own stuff, the Tcha stuff, the Hono stuff....yikes, he's putting some wonderful rhythm wisdom out there!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    what guitar is Rino playing, it has a wonderful tone?
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Rino plays a Rino ;-)

Hey Phil, give me a call, I lost your number.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    By the way he builds a very nice Wappen model (not exactly a wappen though, more a hybrid with a Selmer).
    "sleepy time down south" what a great old swing favourite.... Probably most associated with Louis although many other famous jazz artists have versions...

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=sleepy%2 ... YMAkbYGibM

Just curious, Denis, because I know that both Tcha and Rino love these obscure old American jazz standards: whose suggestion was this tune?

My money's on Tcha...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Rino chose every song! I added patrus53 and speevy , i can't believe he forgot those two!!!

We're now 90 percent there and it's been barely 3 days... THANK YOU SOOOOOO VERY MUCH!!!!

As the ad campaign says, these are musicians that very generously donated their busy time for the sake of music and friendship. When we approached tcha about this project, he was very excited but we did tell him that there was no real commercial goal for this cd and therefore the budget would be limited. He simply replied that he didn't care about the money and to forget about it; he was simply very excited to work with Rino whom he says is the closest living player to 30s/early 40s django. He was so excited in the studio that he said that it was the first time in his life that he played in the real spirit of the hot club quintett!!! quite the compliment is it not??

anyway, here's another tune!!

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Holy hell is that sweet, Denis. Can't wait for this!!!
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    And here's the last video from the session that I will post... for now anyway

thanks so much!! I 'll send everyone an email soon, i haven't had time to look at the contributor list, been on the road all month, but thanks so very much!!!
    Wouldn't it be awesome to see this group in concert next year at DiJ?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D