DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

mschafft juli8989

Shelley Park Encore

Okay, this is a little bit of an advertisement, although I have no personal stake in this whatsoever (except potential jealousy). I just left Brian Wolfe's shop in Guilford CT (acoustimusic.org) and played a Shelley Park Encore that just may be the nicest guitar of any type that I've ever played. Admittedly, I'm not a Gypsy Guitar expert, but I do know about good guitars in general. This particular guitar has a German Spruce top and Bubinga back and sides with beautiful Brazilian bindings. Normally, I don't care too much what an instrument looks like; I'm more interested in sound and playbility, but this guitar is stunning:

http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=48315f15-b6e1-412a-9796-fe5a4cba9e27&Item=853175

Actually the photos don't do it justice, especially the back, which is a rich brown that looks a bit washed out in the picture.

As nice as the guitar looks, it plays better than that, and sounds better than that too. It has an incredible bark. It's definately a Selmer style sound, not a Favino (I own one of Shelley's Favino style models). It's loud, but not brash, and (sorry Michael) the set up is unbelievable: it's got all of the gypsy style you could want, but with low(ish) very supple action. I found it incredibly easy to get lots of great vibrato out of it. All in all, it's just a fabulous instrument.

Brian had it in the shop a couple of days, then sold it to someone who collects archtops. Apparently the person changed their mind (but another archtop), and now Brian has it back on consignment.

I've got a Collins guitar on order, so I'm not in the market, but someone should scoop this up. I'm not a salesman, honestly (although Brian is a friend), but I'm completely high after playing this guitar.

Check out the site: http://www.acousticmusic.org

Again, I apologize if this seems like an ad: it's not. I just think that such a lovely instrument belongs in a player's hands.

-Paul
Reject the null hypothesis.

Comments