DjangoBooks.com

Poll ......Which sax do you like in GJ

edited December 2013 in Woodwinds Posts: 3,707
I am interested in hearing any thoughts as to whether you guitar players or other instrument have a preference for soprano, alto or tenor saxes in GJ.

Is there one range of notes that you think inherently works better than the others.

I play tenor or alto in R & B as needed, tenor in big band and while I have my thoughts on GJ, I am much more interested in others. Going to DIJ and will be working up for that in the new year.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on on this. If I new how I would make it a poll
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Comments

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    In GJ, I prefer soprano or clarinet (funny because I took clarinet lessons as a kid and hated it, but now I appreciate it). In R&B i like tenor or baritone. Can't stand free blowing, out, be bop.

Thought I'd try a comment in the new format. Still on the fence. I liked the wallpaper on the old site. A more elegant look.

Mi dos centavos,

Swang on,
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited December 2013 Posts: 936
    Koen De Cauter has caused me to vote for the soprano sax.

Bossa Dorado ! Rosenberg - K De Cauter

solo around 1:46

I love all the WASO stuff w/ Fapy.

I'm with Swanging @ Steveareno with the soprano or clarinet

pick on

pickitjohn

Magic must be happening, He Playing with his eyes closed X_X
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Soprano or clarinet.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Guitar and clarinet sound beautiful together. There's a woody quality in the sound of both instruments that make them mix so well. But soprano sax sounds terrific in gypsy jazz too, maybe the register of soprano and clarinet has something to do with it too? But speaking of Koen de Cauter and WASO, the tunes where he plays tenor sound really good as well. So I think soprano or tenor sax together with acoustic guitars. Alto with electric guitar – think Django with Hubert Fol in '53!
    I jammed the other day with a soprano sax. Sounded kinda nice, after he closed the case.
    No it really is a nice sounding instrument, deep and loud.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Clarinet for sure. Soprano sax in the wrong hands is a very dangerous weapon.

Alto and tenor seem more mainstream jazz than gypsy jazz to me.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Xaphoon :-)
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Can't stand soprano sax .. it's an inferior instrument to clarinet in every way in my opinion. Often it sounds really out of tune, even when played by guys with years of experience. What's up with that?
    Tenor and Alto are good though
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 3,707
    How can an apple be inferior to an orange. Wim, if what you are really saying is you don't like soprano.... your opinion is as valid for you as anyone else's for them. :)

Sax is capable of a much broader tonal palette than clarinet......clarinet has the largest range of the woodwind family without using special effects (called altissimo).

If you want to check out people who really have command of soprano sax check out Steve Lacy ro Joe Giardullo. Too bad that neither of them were into GJ.

Koen deCauter gets quite a dark rich sound from his old Buescher TT...and to my ear he has pretty good intonation. I always enjoy listening to him.

Personally I would have loved to have heard Django and Sidney Bechet play together. I always hope that one day a recording of the two of them will surface.

Sax uses a different harmonic concept (truncated cone vs tube) than clarinet.

For those who have an interest the lowest note on a sop is concert Ab below middle C and on the alto concert Db below middle C. Only a fifth between them.

I should add as I play soprano alto and tenor ...right now my fave is alto in GJ.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Which one do I like? Whichever one stays in its case. :>

I love saxes in many kinds of music, but not in gypsy jazz. I do like clarinets, because they fill the same tonal space as a violin, in a general sense.
    wim
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.