DjangoBooks.com

Guzz Acoustic Pickup Series II (Pre Order - Ships Jan, 2014)

Comments

• Mehran sMehran s ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013 Posts: 48
    :idea:
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013 Posts: 349
    These look very cool. I like the lower profile and design. Do they provide a smooth, funky, retro tone like the Stimers, or are they cleaner?

Just found a couple of clips on YouTube (Biel Ballester and Wawau Adler). They sound quite clean, in a good way. No buzzing or hum. Dig the vintage, early 60's Fender style knobs.

Swang on,
    Just getting back to these pickups: can they produce that smooth Stimer, slightly distorted 50's tone? The only clips I can find on YouTube sound pretty clean. I'm interested as this p/u with its thin design, looks like I might fit on my Guitar.

Anyone know, or will
    I have to wait til Jan when Michael starts shipping?

Swang on,
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I thought the distortion comes from the amplification, so if you played it through an AER you would have the clean sound but using the same pickup through a tube amp that has been left on all night would have the 'growl' ... please someone correct me if this is wrong, I don't know much about pickups
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @wim is correct. If you want a dirty tone with some "breakup," you'll need to use a tube amp of some sort. Otherwise, you'll just get a clean sound.

You can hear Stochelo getting a dirty sound with the similar Peche a la Mouche pickup and tube amp:

edited December 2013 Posts: 349
    Thanks guys, but I didn't come down in the last shower. I've had MANY electric guitars (and amps)... the pickups have a big influence on the warmth, gain and distortion levels (along with the amp...although natural tube warmth sounds better than most solid state amps with a gain knob). I'd probably use an old Fender Champ. Can't carry anything bigger! The Stimers and Peches have a naturally warm tone IMHO, which I really like. I think they're just too thick to fit my Delll Arte and the Guzz looks nice and slim. Even the Krivo was too tight. Maybe I should not have used the D word? I'll wait 'til these hit the street and some more clips surface so I can hear what they sound like thru a small tube amp.

The tone Adrian Moignard gets on the clip of Dinette posted in the modern la pompe rhythm thread is what I'm after.

Swang on,
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    IIRC that's from the djangologists recording sessions, they were done on the peche a la mouche amp, but not the pickup. It was a stimer pickup. It was not because they have a problem with the peche a la mouche, it just wasn't ready yet
    @wim thanks for pointing that out!
    edited January 2014 Posts: 349
    Have these new Guzz pickups started shipping yet? Any reports on sound quality and tone? There's only a couple of clips on YouTube and they sound very "clean". They sure look cool and have a nice slim profile.
    Swang on
    edited January 2014 Posts: 6,152
    I just received the first one! :-bd

Will try it out at the jam tonight and let you know what I think.