DjangoBooks.com

Rest-stroke for a young beginner?

nixpixnixpix New
edited February 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 17
Being towards the end of my first month using the rest-stroke, I am convinced that it is a superior technique for many styles of music. I've been teaching my 12-year-old niece guitar out of the Mel Bay Guitar Method book for a few months now. I would like to teach her the rest-stroke. Is it appropriate to teach her now, or should I let her get more of the fundamentals of learning a new instrument down first?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I don't see any reason not to jump right into it. In fact, I think in many ways it's easier for a beginner to learn the rest stroke technique. It's conceptually very simple and is pretty natural for most folks who haven't been playing with free strokes for 20 years.

Obviously, most Gypsy kids start with it as early as age 5. So it can be done...

Good luck! I wish someone had taught it to me when I first started...

'm
  • nixpixnixpix New
    Thanks Michael. Now that you mention it, the free-stroke does seem a little unnatural. I can't help but notice that, with beginners, their hand and pick seem to not know where to go after striking the string. Using the rest-stroke provides a defined place for the pick to land.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    nixpix wrote:
    I can't help but notice that, with beginners, their hand and pick seem to not know where to go after striking the string. Using the rest-stroke provides a defined place for the pick to land.

Exactly!