DjangoBooks.com

New CD: Mito Loeffler - Swing for My Friends

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited February 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 6,152

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Get it, get it, get it. Mito is straightahead Alsace, fat, dry tone and a great player. He is sorely under recorded. Michael, good job in getting this CD, it was one of a favorites for along time.

Agreed-get it! I can't say it was ever one of my real favorites; to me, the recording quality isn't the greatest (some of it suffers from a kind of 'recorded in a cave' sound to me), but it's still magnificent listening. It's also got a lot of tunes that aren't commonly recorded, which is always a plus.

A quick search on djangostation only turns up this one disc...has he been recorded on anything else?

Best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Jack wrote:
    to me, the recording quality isn't the greatest (some of it suffers from a kind of 'recorded in a cave' sound to me),

It's no secret that Gypsies are notorious for overdoing the reverb. It seems to be particularly bad among Alsace/German Gypsies.

'm
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Hey Jack,

Mito also plays in Terno Sinto: Mito et son ensemble Tzigane. They have a self titled CD out which features some good guitar playing from Mito and some very lacklustre violin from Mito (very poor intonation). In addition to the violin being out of tune, the guitars on the album are also out of tune with each other on some tracks, which makes it a bit difficult to listen to. Still worth hearing though:
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    nwilkins wrote:
    Hey Jack,

Mito also plays in Terno Sinto: Mito et son ensemble Tzigane. They have a self titled CD out which features some good guitar playing from Mito and some very lacklustre violin from Mito (very poor intonation). In addition to the violin being out of tune, the guitars on the album are also out of tune with each other on some tracks, which makes it a bit difficult to listen to. Still worth hearing though:

Mito is a great player but his tuning seems a recurring problem with him
    I have a video of him playing with Dallas Baumgartner from Samois 2003 and they are both hideously out of tune!
    Stu
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    nwilkins wrote:
    Mito also plays in Terno Sinto: Mito et son ensemble Tzigane.

Yes, on that CD you can hear guitarists Youri and Sebastien Felix (now: Sinti Swing Trio - http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=267) as part of the "ensemble Tzigane", too.

Its a nice CD but I think it isn´t available any more.

Best,
    Barengero