DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG-250 bridge and intonation - worth the effort?

2»

Comments

• dfassodfasso Northern California
    Thanks again fellas. I'm taking it all in and processing it. For my own interest, I moved the bridge back until that one string achieved proper intonation and marked the spot (yes, all the other strings went way flat) and then put it back in place again. Guess where it landed? About a half inch back! Yikes. That would have to be one funky looking bridge to accommodate that.
  • There is likely something more afoot if it is out by that much. Is it the same with another set of strings? Maybe time to take it to an expert if it is.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Ya, I'd say it's beyond me. But I do like your previous suggestions quite a bit. :D
  • I succumb to GAS much too easily :laugh:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Alright, so I was messing around with it a bunch, getting all worked up. I broke the G string then and let it be overnight. So today I grabbed an old random 80/20 bronze string and decided to throw that on (same thickness, .023 inch). To my huge surprise, it's pretty much intonated! I really feel like I must be crazy. I'm wondering if maybe D'Addario made a batch with "defective" G strings. I hadn't noticed the problem before, had been using a couple of different brands, including older D'Addario, then used 2 sets where I started to notice this problem. That's just about the only thing I can come up with. I have one more set of those and I'll let you know if I ever use them again how it turns out. Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'm not crazy and have enough experience with guitars (not gypsy though) to know I didn't do anything out of the ordinary.... I'm just happy to be playing in tune.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Quick question, are you using the D'addario Gypsy strings? Have you tried Argentine or Galli gypsy jazz strings? I played an archtop today that had the same problem with the G string.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @dfasso

Glad your intonation thing worked out.

I found for my DG250 the Argentine strings MF1510's Light gauge - .010 .014 .022 .028 .036 .045 are perfect. ( you might give the maple shim thing a try, just to see )

An old friend Joe always use to say "Use what you got, cause you got ALOT"

Enjoy & pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    Yes, it was the D'Addario light Gypsy Jazz strings. I am definitely going to be getting some Argentines for the next go 'round. Thanks again, folks.