DjangoBooks.com

I need advice on purchasing a semi acoustic/hollow body electric guitar

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
Hi friends!

I've decided to purchase a semi acoustic archtop guitar, ala BB king/Brian setzer, etc. I don't want to go over about $600 for this purchase. Can anyone please recommend a good sounding, decent quality guitar of this style in that price range ?

Anthony

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Setzer uses a Gretsch and King a 335 sorta different guitars one has a block the other not. You want to rock or swing or ? In the price range your talking about I'm thinking Ibanez Artcore or similar. Nothing wrong with an Ibanez. They tend to be well set up right out of the box and make excellent utility guitars.
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Thanks Al !
    My plan for this guitar first and foremost is to give me a guitar that feels something like a selmer, but is quiet enough that I can wail away on it in the living room, and not wake up the family.
    Secondly, I want something versatile that will inspire me in the direction of combining rock and gypsy swing. I'm going to take a look at those artcores, thanks ! That sound just my speed.

How are epiphone's modern guitars ?
  • Franz MoralesFranz Morales Philippines✭✭
    I was eyeing an ibanez afj91(but decided to save my money for a true gypsy guitar) . it's about $400 and sounds good plugged or unplugged. it only has one pickup though. it has a brother with two pups if you're looking for versatility, not sure of the model number. I've been playing the afj91 at the store for weeks now, always gypsy jazz (at least I try to) and it sounds good. I haven't played a Selmer, nor any kind of gypsy guitar though so better try one out yourself first :)
    edited January 2014 Posts: 440
    Epiphones are pretty darn good. I wrote a lot of production reports on Epi's back in the days they were transitioning from Japanese to Korean factories. They got good in a hurry ! They are a bit brighter, kinda crunchy sounding , in a good way. The 335 types have this biting sound, they have their charms. So much of the Sel/Mac vibe is the scale length. So try to get one of the long scale Ibanez or Epi. . See if there is a 25.50 " option in some part of the product line. Most of them are 24.75" which is a bit short to get snap from the strings. You might be stuck on that score. Entry level acoustic/electrics tend to be 24.75. You have to step up the $$ to get to the longer scale. Most of the GJ guitars you see are 26" scale. You can use anything though , where there's a will there's a way. Nomesayin'.
    I'm also thinking of splurging and getting the $875 Gretch. Any thoughts on those ?
    The Gretch's are looking good lately. Without seeing the actual guitar , at least I can say that the current reissues I have seen lately are actually better than the vintage guitars as far as fit, finish and set up goes. Good bang for the buck. What model were you looking at ? 875 seem like a bargain for the units I've seen, which I believe were more a 1.5k price point.
    You have to play it and choose the best one. They are pretty consistent , still if your going big box store go there and play one, if its not pleasing , pass and ask to see another one, see how far you can push that till you get one you actually want to own. The guys don't want to go to stock and pull another one, its a hassle for staff , but if you want one for real, they can be convinced . Bribe them with coffee and donuts. Lots of folks swap these pickups for the same type from TV Jones, which sound more luscious then the stock pickups in these.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @anthon_74
    I'd like to try one of those babies out myself. After I Clicked the link I wound up snooping there other recommendations.I wondered what the difference between the Gretsch Guitars G5422T Electromatic and the g5422tdc is?
    The Gretsch Guitars G5422T Electromatic for $799.00 had 7, five star reviews I kinda liked the Blond myself. I also saw they had some used gear cheaper. Not sure what their policy is but Guitar Center had a 30 day return policy on used gear. You may find a road worn guitar and not need to worry about ding-in it.

@Al Watsky
    Bribe them with coffee and donuts
    another funny to you, made me think of an old Bass player friend, after the gig and maybe a couple of beers he gets pulled over. The Cop comes over to the window, you know the routine.
    Anyway he ask….
    "you been drinking"
    "No Sir, well I only had two about 3 hours ago."
    Cop then ask…
    "You been smoking POT, your eyes are RED.
    Bass player replies…
    "YOU BEEN EATING DONUTS, YOURE EYES ARE GLAZED"

gotta get to work, enough fun here THANKS ALL

pick on

pickitjohn :peace: