DjangoBooks.com

tour de force Rhythm course

edited January 2014 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 3,707
I offer for your consideration as a complete course on Gypsy Rhythm...all in one song.
by my absolutely most favourite rhythm player of all time......errr wait....just make that guitar player

Django playing with Rex Stewart Barney Bigard and a bass player who's name escapes me at at the moment...

" I know that you Know" off the EMI All Star Sessions with DR Benny Carter Rex Stewart Coleman Hawkins. I don't have time to figure out how a guy with two disabled fingers played it....its gonna take a lot just to transcribe it for normal people.

If I could I would attach the mp3 but not possible on iPad.
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
pickitjohn

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    There is a story that Django turned up for this session without a guitar. Then they either found an old damaged guitar for him to play or when they sent someone to collect his, it got broken on the journey back. Whatever actually happened, it seems he is playing a sub-standard guitar here. If the story is true, it just shows how truly brilliant Django was because the guitar sounds great in both rhythm and solo.

It is also said that on one of the recordings where Bigard is playing the drums, he got so entranced by Django's performance that he stopped playing completely without realising it.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Jazzaferri
    Well, now that the wow reaction is gone I Just wanna say WOW
    Thanks Jay I can see why you Love this, especially with the HORNS. I just order the album

8cf4581af3ccd2cc96cbcd21fadd43.jpg

One of the Amazon reviewers said….
    This CD consists of several separate recording sessions, from 1935 to 1939, of the legendary jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt playing with some of the greatest American jazz musicians of that era while they were touring Europe. As amazing as Django's guitar playing is on these tracks (as always, for him), these are about the only recordings I know of where the other musicians are of the same caliber (except, of course, the recordings with his regular musical partner, Stephane Grappelli, who certainly must be the all-time greatest jazz violinist). Anyone familiar with the history of jazz will recognize the names of Rex Stewart and Barney Bigard (from Duke Ellington's band), Benny Carter, Coleman Hawkins, and many of the other "all stars" who join Reinhardt (and Grappelli on piano) on this CD. If you're a fan of the great Django Reinhardt, or of great jazz in general, don't miss this CD.

@stuart
    Thanks for the youtube link, after hearing the cut I had to get it.

pick on

pickitjohn
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Yep Stuart, that is the one. Wish I could manipulate technology as well as my ear works with music.

For those with a bend for self abuse, I am starting the rhythm transcription, but no promises of early completion. I have big band charts for Nuages, and two of my own to finish first. All Ican say it will be sometime late spring...before DIJ if possible.

So glad you like it pickitjohn....nice to have company LOL
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah that rhythm really drives the whole song. I've had that on a 'mix tape' in the player in my truck forever. Some takes never get 'old'.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Although not from the same session, here is another really swinging recording with horns. A great arrangement by Dicky Wells too.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited January 2014 Posts: 513
    Is this the recording? Oops, just saw stuart's post.

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @stuart
    it's also available on the JSP Box Set Renown and Resistance, along with many other similar gems

Thanks, I've been in the acquiring new music phase lately…..$ $ $ $

Django Reinhardt - All Star Sessions
    Rodolphe Raffalli - Un Pied Su L'Ile & Integrale a Georges Brassens
    Schnuckenack, Reinhardt - Starportrait & Musik Deutscher Zigeune 8 CD set

I put it in my Amazon wish list for another day. It's now time to Listen, pick my favorites, make a playlist, keep listening and then practice, & practice some more till all that great new music finds it's way to my fingers and ears…..

pick on

pickitjohn :whistle:
    @Teddy Dupont

Great tune, thanks, I gotta remember to play Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea some more I Kinda forgot about it.

pick on

pickitjohn
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, what power! He swings the whole band!
  • galvanometrgalvanometr Czech Republic✭✭ Lebreton Modele 4
    Swings SO hard, unbelievable. 10 points to the first one who'll figure out how only did he do that? I may have a clue, it did not really come from our world...
    Teddy Dupont