DjangoBooks.com

BMI / ASCAP Issues

2»

Comments

• Doesn't matter what they are playing bones. Unless a venue is really organized and can prove that they do not allow the use of copyrighted material they are in for a rough ride from the greedheads. The artists get a few scraps from this, most of the money hoes to the business.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Man, that completely sucks. Yeah, sounds like just a plain old shake down for money.
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Yeah why else would a few lawyers be running around leaning on small businesses. More like organized crime than real business.

But let me put the shoe on the other foot. Would you be willing to pay 10 or 20 bucks per song for the right to play it live in public for a few years?

If it was the responsibility of the player to have the right, would only have to be one of the group. That way, one could purchase direct from the artist so the writer would make a real living if lots liked his songs. Doubt it will ever happen. People want too much free and easy these days.
    Mandobart
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014 Posts: 867
    Unless they record the gig, which I believe would be illegal, they would have no proof in a court of law. If a rep came to me threatening I would have him thrown out of the club. There is no way these societies will waste lawyer fees going after such a small amount of money. I believe this practice is a paper tiger.

Thick Pick also mentioned the license which I would presume is not cost prohibitive.
  • From what I know they have staff lawyers doing this.....and I rather suspect its all part of a business plan to protect their revenues...I suspect the goal is to make small Independant venues shut down. Big venues already have to pay and there is way less work administering it.

Fight em any way you can guys. That's my 02 anyway, even if it may sound a bit eccentric.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014 Posts: 867
    This is such a counter productive practice, it really pisses me off and I make a very comfortable living due to PRO's. Anything that allows the public to go hear and promote music is good for the industry as a whole. The public gets to learn things they might not normally be subjected to. It is like shooting yourself in the foot on purpose and in my case taking out one of your members first....really sucks.
    pickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Question maybe Who is BMI / ASCAP anyway. I believe you will find some ESTATE LAWERS filling their pockets first. I'm all for an Artist getting some $.
    Seems like many of the Songs from Django Music ARE PUBLIC DOMAIN. My Jazz Guitar Buddy Slim calls them "Dead People's Songs". We could call the Performance a Public Domain Show. :-c

Shame on them

Music is in the public domain as with any other work in the public domain:
    all rights have expired or
    the authors have explicitly put a work into the public domain
    there never were copyrights

pick on

pickitjohn