DjangoBooks.com

Best Selling Record on Which a Selmer Guitar is Used?

Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
in History Posts: 1,002
Anyone care to venture a guess? I'm pretty positive I know the answer, but someone may surprise me and know of a bigger seller. I'll give my answer soon, but it will be fun to see what guesses people have.
I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.

Comments

• kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Does it have to be prominent? My guess is, a Selmer-type guitar is buried in the orchestra in many of the French classics in the early-mid 1900's, so it's probably there in Piaf's La vie en rose or Montand's Les feuilles mortes and many more like that.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    edited April 2014 Posts: 1,002
    Kimmo! Long time! It can be used in any way, but there has to be documentation that a Selmer guitar was used. Those were two impressive guesses!
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing outside the box here,..
    But,
    Peter Frampton's I'm In You, on the cut Rocky's Hot Club.
    It was a Selmer tenor.
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Does the guitar have to be played, or just used as a prop??
    Eric Clapton used to own a Dupont before he tried to buy Stochelo's Selmer, but I don't know if he ever recorded with any.
    I guess it would have to be a song featured in a movie... What was the name of that tune Johnny Depp played in Chocolat?
    - JG
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    No props, and it has to be played. I think Johnny Depp did "Minor Swing" in "Chocolat".
    I knew I had heard that tune before ;)
    - JG
  • NewcastleBudNewcastleBud Erstwhile✭✭✭✭
    Actually, Peter Frampton's I'm In You went at least double platinum, but Peter says triple, so at the very least, it would tie with Let It Bleed.
    And since Peter Frampton is an avowed Django freak,..
    I think we have the winner :)
    I think, therefore I am......I think.
    The only thing that might beat it, would be a Selmer saxophone...?
    - JG
  • If you go by market share percentage, I bet Django's Nuages would be right up there. Anything else and comparing apples to oranges.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Newcastle Bud, you may be right, but I rather doubt that anything Frampton did outsold what was probably the best-selling Stones album. But who knows? I said at the beginning that I wasn't 100% certain. I had no idea Frampton played a Selmer tenor on anything, so I learned something.

Jay, I said record, not composition. Nuages was recorded during WWII, so I wonder how many copies were even circulated outside France. So I doubt it even competed in market share, if you count the world. Obviously, Nuages is the better tune, by a long shot, but I don't think it sold anywhere near what Let It Bleed did.

And Stuart, I did say Selmer, not Hofner, but that is one hell of an interesting point. I wonder if the Beatles were still using Selmer amps when they recorded I Want to Hold Your Hand.

Actually, I was watching a Stones concert form 1972 on VH1 when I remembered about Taylor using the Selmer, so I looked it up to be sure again and then thought it might be fun to post it.