DjangoBooks.com

How to "pimp" my GJ-15

in Welcome Posts: 2
Hello,
great to have found this forum.
A year ago i bought a GJ-15 since as a drummer i wanted to get into La Pompe.
I never played guitar before, so it was a steep learning curve for the left hand.

But: Persistence ain't futile and alas... I already learned a lot.

As a beginner i am quite happy with the GJ-15 I bought, however after playing on a much better instrument some weeks ago, i was thinking what i ( if anything sensible ) I can do to improve the sound of the Box.

My main concern ist still the buzzing Low-E String, meaning: When i hit it open it usually buzzes a little.
Don't know if this due to the short neck ( i am playing the Argentine 1510MF ), or if the neck-rod needs to be adjusted.
Furthermore i was wondering if an exchange of the bridge, saddle, tuners and maybe the tailpiece is of any substancial value, or if i should just save the monies ...

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Schieferstein

you could check out…

Bob Holo quick course on gypsy jazz guitar setup

if that doesn't make sense to you, you may need some assistance from someone knowledgeable with GJ guitar setup. Google or youtube will help.
    Once you get the neck right you may want to proceed into the bridge adjustment realm.
    If you report your findings it may be easier to help.
    The search engine top right corner can supply your answers IMMEDIATELY.
    This question is often asked and answered many times.

pick on
    pickitjohn:peace:
    Hey, thanks. Thats a great video.
    And yes, you are right, I should have searched more thoroughly.

I guess I'll better bring the guitar to a local repair guy to have it looked at.
    He would have way more experience than i could ever gather from online knowledge.

cheers!
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Local repair guy & Gypsy Jazz repair guys may not be one and the same.
    Where are you located?

Perhaps someone could recommend someone close with more hands on Gypsy Jazz experience. Your local tech should be able to check and set the relief correctly after seeing Bob's YouTube.

Pick on
    Pickitjohn
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    stuart wrote: »
    I started a thread with almost exactly the same title a few months ago - you should search for it, I got some good replies. The general consensus was that the cost of upgrading it wasn't worth it.

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/12181/pimping-my-cigano

• StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014 Posts: 349
    I would experiment with raising the height of the bridge using shims. Ordinary Popsicle sticks (wide, flat thin ones...if you can find them) are apparently made of maple and are easy to cut to fit. Got a packet of approx. 20 at the local Rite Aid for about a dollar. I've seen players using everything from guitar picks to bus and metro tickets (Django). A little extra height often gets rid of buzzes and sometimes makes your guitar louder. Helped my guitar A LOT.
    Swang on,
    pickitjohn
  • One thing you could quite easily do to pimp your axe is to get a can of pink lacquer spray. That, some chrome spinners for the tuners and a chrome oval hole trim ring.............
    MichaelHorowitz
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    The GJ-15 is usually a great instrument. Most likely cause for buzzing E string is action too low. I go for about 3.5mm between the top of the 12 fret and the bottom of the E string, it's easy just to loosen the strings and shim it up as Steveareno already mentioned.
    Good neck setup can make drastic difference sometimes. If you have someone you can take your guitar to that has experience with GJ guitars start with that. But not only someone experience in acoustics, it really needs be someone who understands the construction of these guitars. I took my guitar once to a guy that is a well known shop for acoustics and he was criticizing the luthier about how thin he made the heel on my guitar.
    I didn't wanna argue with him but we all know that a lot the GJ guitars, even very high end ones have very thin heel.
    Next is the material and construction of the bridge.
    And finally the strings.

These things in this order have made a major difference to the sound on my guitar.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Go with Bob Holo on setup. A guitar with too high an action will not play in tune all along the neck.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed