DjangoBooks.com

How about an update on the state of Gypsy Jazz in America?

Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
in Welcome Posts: 23
As a newcomer the GJ, I've been reading through the forum archives. This discussion of the state of GJ in America was especially interesting to me.

Nine years later, what's the take on this same subject? Has anything changed?

Comments

• Growing...getting better all the time
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I live outside of Baltimore, and there seems to be some great gypsy jazz in this area. The Hot Club of Baltimore, Ultrafaux, The Hot Club of DC...that's just to name a few!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    There was a huge explosion of growth at the time when that post was written (2005.) This style quickly went from almost nonexistent in the US to having dozens of amateur and pro bands, several festivals, dedicated stores, and manufacturers specializing in all the related gear. I think 90% of the growth happened that first 5 years and since then things have slowly ground forwards with a trickle of people continuing to come into the style. Some predicted DjangoFests in every city and Dupont guitars in every local music store. That wasn't to be, but as @stuart said, it's a small, but relatively healthy scene and probably will remain that way.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Shenandoah Jim welcome
    Nine years later, what's the take on this same subject? Has anything changed?

People come, people go, any guitar player with an ear has to wonder, How the H**l did the two fingered gypsy play so well. I started about 2 years ago wanting to play this style, I've improved however whenever I listen to DJANGO I'm always amazed and have to laugh and hopefully keep reaching for more of Django's Musical Genius. NOW THERE'S A BAR

Here I am 200 miles from the Music Capital of the World, Austin Tx ( These Texans do think highly of Being Here ) and I get to go to Jams that play everything not any Gypsy Jazz Jams. ( just keeping my fingers crossed and doors open)

This is definitely a wonderful community with great member's and lot's to share. Stick around.

The Django in June gathering is probably the best place to become immersed in this style. I hope to get to it next year.

pick on

pickitjohn
    :peace:
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    I'm here in Raleigh, NC. The Triangle area has 1 band that I know of, the Onyx Club Boys (Chapel Hill?). The Cary (Cary's newly renovated classic old movie theater) has been featuring GJ quite a bit--last month was HCSF with their cinema vivant thing, but otherwise not much. Modestly strong swing dance/retro crowd around here, but they seem prefer sax-centered bands. Dancers have trouble with extended solos or guitar leads, and it's easier for them to feel the tune if there's a violin/clarinet/sax with the band.
    Anyway, there's a lot of us "in the woodshed" here, but few bands or organized jams. Also, I think there's a band called Gypsy Roots in Virgina, somewhere...
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is you will always have a solid contingent of historic style players who are playing it as an homage to 1930's European Swing, but modern experimental players like Gonzalo expand and grow the style. Both should be happening, but I hope more people come into the fold through the more experimental contemporary players.
  • KarenAnnKarenAnn Virginia✭✭
    Thomas Wakefield and Gypsy Roots are based out of Ashland Virginia. Just north of Richmond. Thomas puts on an event in honor of Django's birthday each year in Glen Allen Va. This year Stephane Wrembel will be there. Here are a couple of links in case you want to come up to our area.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gypsy-Roots/55092606119

http://www.artsglenallen.com/performances/Center_Season/Djangoary_Music_Soiree/index.php#.U6e4GJRdXng
    pickitjohnJim Gallaher
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @KarenAnn
    good to know about another Django Birthday Event.
    you may wish to add to Events Calendar here…

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/post/discussion/north-america

pick on

pickitjohn :peace: