DjangoBooks.com

1942 Selmer on Ebay

Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
What is this guitar? Looks like a model jazz with classical strings and headstock on it. Mmmmmmm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-Selmer-Gypsy-jazz-guitar-Django-Reinhardt-Bj-1942-/321424006383?pt=Gitarren&hash=item4ad65d1cef
"We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK

Comments

• rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    It's authentic, he did use that design a bit on a few head stocks I have seen in photos. Still holding their own price wise by the look of it.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    Looks whole neck is from a classical guitar, judging by both heel and headstock.
    Did you see that wood? Whoa!!!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    Are there other Selmers that have a neck joint at the 13th fret?
  • Michael  LevitMichael Levit Ukraine
    Yes, there are. 1938 Selmer 445 has too 13 fret to the body.
    http://gypsyguitars.com/instrument-closeup.php?id=72
  • Michael  LevitMichael Levit Ukraine
    And, if I'm not mistaken there's one Selmer from transitional period number 489 oval hole. I'm not sure, but I think it has slightly more, than 12 frets to the body... anyway it sounds fantastic!
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited June 2014 Posts: 476
    With no close up of the top back and sides, the seller is leaving some mystery as to its actual condition.
    The "Selmer" on the headstock looks like it was revealed by just rubbing some dust away with ones thumb but only over the logo leaving the rest of the head pretty dirty. Like it came straight out of the attic to Ebay.
    Can't imagine paying that price without solving the easier mysteries first.
    The head stock has the usual Selmer graft, plus a angled graft as if the headstock had been sawn off a differently designed neck and grafted Selmer style on to this guitar. But the grain and the double graft in the same spot on the back of the neck can't be original can it?
    Looks pretty good though, even the brass is shiny.
    Wish I read german.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK