DjangoBooks.com

A book on music practice: a friend's kickstarter project‏

in Welcome Posts: 4,730
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonathanharnum/the-practice-of-practice-be-a-better-musician?ref=live

Hey all,

a friend, Jon Harnum, just finished a book and is looking for some $ to be able to hire a professional editing person and to do some general tweaks to make it even more awesome.

Please consider kicking in a buck or two or at least pass the word.
He's only looking for $3500 and has two weeks to go with about half pledged and interest on his side is waning so he's asked me to try and spread the word.

Jon is a great trumpet player, we played gypsy jazz together before his move to New Haven. He's written several books on jazz, trumpet and music theory: http://www.allabouttrumpet.com/
He's given away over a million digital book downloads, it'd be cosmic justice for him to be able to get this last book published as he's hoping to be able to.

The book sounds really awesome and I can't wait to read it.
I know he's been conducting interviews for last several years with some of the worlds best musicians in various genres, including Stephane Wrembel about their personal practice of practice.
And they've divulged their secrets so you'll be able to apply the same process in your own practice so everyone who reads the book is going to kick major ass two years from today's date or sooner.

Yours truly is looking to learn a thing or two from this book so I'm really hoping it'll see the light of day,

and THANKS

Buco
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I backed it. Looking forward to reading this!
    To @adrian and others THANK YOU!
    Jon said 4 pledges since yesterday pushed him over 50%.
    That's encouraging news.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Hey @Buco. If you know this guy. I would like to pledge to get a signed inscribed paperback version but live in Canada. No option for this. Can I just add $5 to get that
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Yes, Jon is a friend. I'll find out. Thanks!
  • djondjon Branford CT Gitane D500
    Yep, Jazzaferri, that's how it works. But I like to make exceptions for people I "know" or who share the same interests. So if you pledge, just pledge as if you were in the USA (no $5 shipping). Then shoot me a private note that we chatted on Djangobooks and I'll know that all is cool and just absorb the shipping cost. That goes the same for anybody reading on Django books in Europe, too. Hope this helps. Cheers, Jon H.
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    This book was waiting for me in the mail when I got back from vacation a short time ago and I have just finished. It was an excellent read, very well researched, it flowed very well and was packed with valuable information delivered in an entertaining way.

I highly recommend it to anyone, I learned a hell of a lot and have found it very motivating.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Thanks for the tip! I just ordered it. Luckily, my favourite Internet bookstore in my country had it. So I'm looking forward to start reading it soon. Seems interesting indeed. Just what I need at this moment.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,730
    I started reading it the second time and this time around I wanna follow all the supplemental material where he provides the links to videos and interviews and such.
    The book itself I enjoyed reading a ton.

It got me started on a slow practice routine and I see improvements in my playing after a very short time.
    What reaffirmed I'm on the right track is when I recently went to the workshop with Joscho S and at one point he said "what people most often ask me is how come I'm so fast?" "my answer is I practice slow. Even now, when I come up with a new lick I go over it very slow for a period of time until I'm sure I have a muscle memory built up and only then I go faster".
    He also said it could take up to 6 months of practice before a more complex lick is ready to perform live.
    Interestingly, Bobby Broom said the same thing to Jon during his book research and interviews with musicians, that it could take months before the new lick he comes up with during practice starts showing up during his live performance.

I especially like how Jon dispels the myth of in-born talent and the notion that only an extraordinary talented person can become top musician. Rather he explains it is the set of extraordinary circumstances but most importantly extraordinary dedication.

The book also has many simple but effective advices about how to make your practice more productive.

It motivated me to push even harder with on my musical journey.
  • I finally had a chance to read this in early August. It has certainly changed my approach to practice sessions and there are a number of great strategies that a worthwhile exploring.
    One of the things I've started doing is taking notes after practice sessions as to what worked and what didn't work. This practice has opened up some avenues for exploration for me that would not have otherwise been evident to me previously.
  • How does one get a copy now. I boobed in March......
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed