DjangoBooks.com

My comparison of GJ guitars

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
I finally made it to Caravan in Chicago and was able to try out a few Duponts and an AJL. I also tried a Gitane and a Shelly Park elsewhere. The Dupont and AJL sounded very dry without near as much harmonic richness as my ALD. The AJL had a very nice woody sound. I was disappointed by the Park which sounded like a Taylor. And the Gitane DG 300 was not even on the same page as the others. Did not like that one at all. It seems I am drawn to a little bit more lively sound. Any suggestions of other makers? Holo? Mazaud? Eimers?

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Not surprising that a Gitane was vastly inferior to those other (handmade) ones. :)

As for other makers, I highly recommend Holo and Mazaud -- those are my two favorites. Unfortunately they're quite hard to come by!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I certainly echo Adrian's recommendations. I am a big fan of Rodrigo Shopis's guitars - a somewhat more modern sound than the Dupont and AJL guitars, with impeccable workmanship.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    +1 for Mazaud! :-bd

I think Adrian and Benny both tried mine out at Django in June this year. When I spoke to Michael at the Djangobooks tent he said he had another one ordered. If you ever find yourself in the Cleveland area give me a shout and you can play mine (West Virginia isn't too far away).
    Charles Meadowsadrian