DjangoBooks.com

Swing Guitars 1947 solo by Django Reinhardt - Augusto Creni

qkuqku New
edited May 2013 in Gypsy Jazz Italia Posts: 14

Django Reinhardt et le Quintette du Hot Club de France
Stéphane Grappelli (v); Django Reinhardt (g solo); Joseph Reinhardt, Eugène Vées (g); Fred Ermelin (b) 1947 November 21 - Radiodiffusion-Television Française, Paris

integral version + 50 Cents
http://papabecker.com/audio/Django Reinhardt - Swing Guitars - 21&28.11.1947.mp3

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    You have an awesome feel for that solo!

Down below the video you gave a link to the Integrale version "+ 50cents" and when I first looked at it I had to laugh... "Man, I didn't know Django recorded Swing Guitars with 50Cent."

Now That... would be an iconic collaboration...

But of course you meant that Integrale is half a pitch up... true true...

Great playing, man...
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Augusto, awesome job on that!

I was wondering at 0:12 in your vid (just after the Db7b5 arp (ending on the 12th fret harmonic) I hear a chord 'splash' in the background that sounds like Db9 (x x 9 10 9 11). Do you think that is Django playing that or one of the accompanists?

Thanks for posting the vid. I have wanted to work on this one for a while.
    lostjohn
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Definately Joseph and Eugene playing that. They do it later as well.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok, cool. How can you tell? I'm having a hard time differentiating the various instruments on that recording.

Thanks
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 Posts: 457
    Because in a few places it would be impossible, like at 0:27 where Django seems to hold the note over the "splash". Also, I get the feeling he would lose a little of the groove while soloing, he rarely did any chord work while soloing unless it was a part of the solo, but when playing rhythm he did a lot of embellishments in the rhythm like that.

I'm just guessing :)
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    If you listen to the actual recording, it is clearly the rhythm guitarists.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Thanks guys. I'll check it out. I'm guessing that they would need big ears to be confident enough to throw in rhythm splashes behind Django especially during a recording session (and big nads!) but they probably had enough time together to be able to anticipate when to put them in.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Agreed. BTW, really love the rhythm playing on that take.