DjangoBooks.com

Minor Swing solo slooooowwww

misterdanielbmisterdanielb Paris/NoviSad✭✭ Florian Jegu
Hello again :)

for beginners who want's to work like me: sloowwwllly !
i did also this video for the minor swing django's solo...

have fun :)
rgrice

Comments

• Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.
  • misterdanielbmisterdanielb Paris/NoviSad✭✭ Florian Jegu
    @stuart yeah you're right.. don't know why i got used like that :)
    it's exactly like that revisiting an old friend ! :)
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Cool, thanks Daniel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I have special affection for this piece of music because it's the first solo I learned entirely. There's so much good information in it and it's a classic.

I think this is a great way to learn gypsy jazz. You have anymore like it?
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    This is excellent, and very helpful as I am currently working on this solo. Thanks!

Just one thing though: I find the tab a bit distracting because the fingerings that are played are quite frequently different than what is written.
    Jehu, I do a different fingering here and there from the video tab and the way Daniel is playing, but it's still good to play along - just don't watch the video while playing.

I can't get up to Django's speed yet, especially that triplet chromatic line in the final chorus. Even at Daniel's speed it is difficult for me. My instinct was to play it strictly alternating down and up strokes, but now I'm trying down strokes with each string change. Either way, it is difficult at speed. So for that section I'm going slower than Daniel's video.
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Yes, tricky stuff. After doing quite a bit of toe-dipping, mixing a bit of gypsy and a bit of alternate, I've resigned to the fact that in the long run using gypsy technique is almost always going sound and feel better for this style of music. It just seems so odd at first, but doesn't take too long to feel at least somewhat comfortable. (Proficient is a whole 'nuther question, though!)
    Rob MacKillop
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    Nice work on the transcription. Great instruction. There's no way around it: only by playing - and listening! - SLOWLY can one find the weak spots in their playing, and figure out exactly what need to be polished. It's like public speaking - you can't mumble every fourth sentence and expect to hold an audience.

I've been having good results with the slowed-down Beginner Gypsy Jazz Playalongs (absolutely free) on Denis Chang's DC Music School site. This has probably been noted here a thousand times, but I highly recommend them to all beginners and intermediates as a solid foundation to attain true mastery of this style of music.

http://www.dc-musicschool.com/catalogue/playalongs/beginner-gypsy-jazz-playalongs/
    sadow - thanks for the link. I just saw the preview of Gonzalo Bergara soloing over Minor Swing changes, and there is a free pdf transcription. I've bookmarked the site for when I'm a little further down the road.