DjangoBooks.com

New Strings: Saga Gitane Parisian Strings

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Are they good?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    They seem a bit like the Dell Arte and the Nuages. Hard to say untill they've been on a guitar a while.

'm
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I played the Gitane guitars at NAMM and they were all sporting these strings. I don't know how much the guitars got played at the show but some - like the Jorgenson model - got played a lot - and the strings were still doing fine at the dog's end of day 3. With as many guitars as there were in the Saga booth, I can't imagine each got restrung at the closing of the booths each night. With the rigors of manning a booth for the show - the hunger after surviving 9 hours on breath mints and parts of finger sandwiches - and given that customer meetings and gigs and parties happen pretty much all night long - people scatter like cockroaches in a bright light when the show closes for the night. So - it's safe to say that the guitars weren't restrung nightlyand hence these strings can take (at least) 3 days under harsh conditions without any significant degradation. They sounded nice - bright - crisp - like the Pearse strings. Who makes them anyway?
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Great new, anyway: let's hope the Gitanes will now come with the right type of strings on!
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    It's interesting to note that the Cordoba guitars are imported by the same people who import Savarez strings...so it probably stands to reason that Saga wouldn't have gone to Savarez since their importer is now a competitor of sorts.

Maybe.
  • ghodaddyyoghodaddyyo The slums of OCNew
    These strings (.10) came on my D-255 I purchased at the Los Angeles Django Fest a few weeks back. I've had the guitar for just under 3 weeks and have been playing a few hours everyday. I don't have any experience with other silver wound strings to compare, but I like the tone of these very much compared to the .12 phosphor bronzes's on my Ovation. The only problem I have is the wound G string has become unraveled at the 5th fret creating a gap in the wounds. Sliding around that string can cause sore fingers quickly due to friction, but I don't want to change my strings just yet since I don't have lots of money for new strings. :(
    "Aw, that's just pillow talk baby!"
  • just the bassplayerjust the bassplayer Huntington, NYNew
    I put a set of 11s on my Gitane D-500 over a week ago. The first thing that I noticed was how difficult it was to get 3 of the loops over the posts. One would have thought that they would fit their own instruments particularly well. Having forced them on, I found they were brighter than the Argentines of the same age (brand new).
    At this point, I'm more used to them, and they've toned down a bit, and sound fine. I particularly like the tone of the 11s on the plain strings.
    Michael