DjangoBooks.com

Has anyone played a DELL ARTE PIGALLE ?

2»

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    The Busato is probably the ugliest GJ guitar I have ever seen, but it has the sound to hang with anything. I was playing it late at night last night and kept thinking it was too loud for playing while my wife was asleep! I grabbed a Dupont because it was so much quieter...by comparison.

BTW, Rodrigo Shopis did some fabulous setup work on the Selmer, and it is now about as loud as the Busato and sounds fabulous. I had just picked the guitar up before D in J and had no time to have any work done. Alot of guys seemed a little disappointed in it in Northampton, especially compared to the Busato, but Rodrigo really worked some magic on it a few weeks ago and totally transformed it. GJ guitar making in the States has taken a huge step forward with the work of Bob Holo and Rodrigo Shopis. Both make top-shelf instruments that seem as good as any guitars being made anywhere. I dream of having a guitar from each of them in the collection one day.

Kruno was playing a Pigalle until recently, and it was a really good guitar. It is the only Dell Arte of any sort I have ever played and liked. Of course, when I played it, it sounded much more ordinary than when Kruno had a go.

I agree with HCQ about Django in June. I just love the atmosphere there. Andrew has created his own unique event. I'll probably keep going even after I can't play anymore just to soak up the vibe, see old friends, and make new ones.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Michael, my sister used to say of Anthony Quinn, "He's so ugly he's beautiful." That's your Busato, man. What a totally deformed, butt-ugly guitar, and what a fabulous sound! I feel so privileged to have been one of the first, if not perhaps the first to play it at Django in June.

What a jam session that was in your room, with fabulous guitars passing around from hand to hand, along with my bottle of fine Woodford Reserve Bourbon, which we all pretty well drained that evening. Best use of a bottle of Woodford in my memory, and perhaps my very best memory of an altogether wonderful Django in June.

I'm happy to hear of the transformation of your Selmer. Can't wait to check it out next year. I'll bring my Holo F hole. And more Bourbon.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Benny, that was a great night for sure! The bourbon made me forget if that was the night Rodrigo brought his latest creation up. Man, what a guitar that was!!! As is your new Holo! I can't wait to add that to the jam next year.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    No, Michael, Rodrigo wasn't there that night. THAT I'd remember, Bourbon or no Bourbon.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    the BEAST yeahhhhh !! Great guitar !!! you play 2 chords on it and can hear the fire alarm of the building ;)
  • teletoddteletodd Strongsville Ohio Huttle jazz
    Is it the same or very similar to a Paris Swing 39??
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    yes it is very similar.
  • teletoddteletodd Strongsville Ohio Huttle jazz
    What are the differences between them?
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    A "George Cole" Pigalle was for sale in the SF bay area a few months ago at a reasonable price. It was a two hour drive to see it, but as I am super happy with my used Paris Swing 39, I elected to pass. My PS 39 has a nice sound, plays well, and is pretty close to being in tune at the 12th fret. It is a big improvement over my Gitane DG-255 and it's overtone problem. Advice from a well know GJ pro from southern California:

definitely worth 500

they are good sounding guitars. i have one as my backup gigging guitar

with a little setup you could have a winner

dell arte used to call it the "pigalle"