DjangoBooks.com

La Roulotte - Chez Django Reinhardt in Color.

Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in Photos Posts: 457
I thought this might be of interest to some. Photo by Frank Scherschel circa 1944. Frank Scherschel was a photographer during D-Day, and took color photos in France during its liberation, following the US Army.

Teddy Dupont

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Hey - who's the hot chick on the horse? Sorry, I couldn't resist... I'll delete if anyone is offended.
    :)>-
    pickitjohn
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    In 2013 I was at the Place Pigalle looking for the location, and I THINK I found it... but if some nice person in Paris were to take a picture of what the site looks like right now, that would be nice...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    The flag to the right is similar to the Corsican Flag, but not exactly the same. I wonder what the story is behind it.
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi,
    Thanks for this beautiful colour photo!!!

Here it what the place looked in November 2007. The Corsican flag is probably linked to the fact that before it was sold to Django the place was run by Lulu de Montmartre (her real name was Franchi and she was corsican). It is not impossible that it was a sign that the place was Under the protection of the corsican maffia.

Best

François RAVEZ
    Svanis1337
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful, François!
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Yes François, that seems likely. Thanks for the background information!
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi Svanis,
    Are there other interesting Paris colour photos by Franck Scherchel available. May be a site?
    They remind me of the photos by photographer André ZUCCA, a french collaborationnist who was shooting Paris in colour for the german propaganda magazine "Signal".

Best

François RAVEZ
  • KarenAnnKarenAnn Virginia✭✭
    @rimm, your can of worms is too funny!
    My only problem with the hot chick, is envy, :-).
    pickitjohnBucorimm
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    62 Rue Jean Baptiste, Pigalle.
    Looks, today, like the girl is still dancing there, but the horse has gone...