DjangoBooks.com

who makes the LOUDEST but still GREAT sounding guitar?

Paul MehlingPaul Mehling sf CA✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 34
go...

Comments

• Pot stirrer @Paul Mehling, that's what you are.

My maple Dupont cuts but....are you talking Db meter at precise distance or.....??
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    My Gitane DG250m sounds both loud and good, so does my Anastasio and my Dell Arte Pigalle now that the finish has been stripped off and I've just been playing a Manouche Moreno (also with the finish removed and the top waxed ) which has both a rich tone and volume. My Dupont Busato does not match up to any of them - but maybe it's just me.
    always learning
  • My Gitane 250m is also very loud but doesn't sound that great; it's wet and has annoying overtones. I put a pretty thick strip of leather under the tailpiece which helps but also mutes volume a bit. I know you like yours, @crookedpinky, but I've stopped playing mine after getting the Dupont. For the price, its a decent guitar tho.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Both my Gallatos (oval and D hole) are loud and fairly dry.
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited February 2015 Posts: 476
    Cigano short scale, Moreno short scale. I suspect that judging volume while you play is not something one can do. Maybe you need someone ten feel away and to change rooms (one dead, one alive) with the same person listening. Just guessing, but using my daughter as the judge, I'm consistently wrong about it as I play them from her judgement.
    When I was starting out I played a Hodson long scale for a couple years. When I bought and regularly played a D-500, I almost immediately damaged my right ear, (the one closest to the sound hole). Whether it is just the volume of certain frequencies or volume period, the volume of short scales Selmacs (Cigano, Gitane, and the Moreno has always seemed greater to my ears, and that's now compared with a VR, two Lebretons and a original Busato. Who knows?
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • Get a Db meter app for your phone and put on stand with mic facing guitar at exactly 3 feet. Report back
    pickitjohnCharles MeadowsJon
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    If someone could remind me - which has greater string tension at pitch, short or long scale?
  • TexasRedTexasRed South Texas, San Antonio✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    Jeff Moore wrote: »
    Cigano short scale, Moreno short scale. I suspect that judging volume while you play is not something one can do. Maybe you need someone ten feel away and to change rooms (one dead, one alive) with the same person listening. Just guessing, but using my daughter as the judge, I'm consistently wrong about it as I play them from her judgement.
    When I was starting out I played a Hodson long scale for a couple years. When I bought and regularly played a D-500, I almost immediately damaged my right ear, (the one closest to the sound hole). Whether it is just the volume of certain frequencies or volume period, the volume of short scales Selmacs (Cigano, Gitane, and the Moreno has always seemed greater to my ears, and that's now compared with a VR, two Lebretons and a original Busato. Who knows?

Are you sure its the short scales? A bigger sound hole makes it easier for the player to hear , but it doesn't project as well. So you might hear it as louder when behind the box, but out in front, a longer scale and oval hole is going to win out (everything else being equal, all things are never equal though)

I would guess that a longer scale and a dhole would be louder to the player than a short scale d hole, but I'm just guessing there.

Longer scale equals more tension bopster
  • Assuming the same diameter of string the long scale will have more tension