DjangoBooks.com

Dutch style hard for 4 finger technique?

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
I've noticed that (to me anyway) a lot of the Dutch style stuff seems more suited to a 3 finger style. A more modern 4 finger technique seems to suit me better. And I find it's easier for me to pick up stuff from more 4 finger players like Angelo. Anyone else find this to be true?

Comments

• Not quite sure what you are meaning Charles......that it is physically more demanding, or copying their fingerings but using 4 fingers is difficult to???

Learn the phrase you want in your head ( I find being able to sing or hum it first with the record then without) then figure out the most efficient fingering for you. There will be some really fast 1 or 2 string phrases that you may have to emulate the original technique on though.

Trying to emulate one of Djangos sliding gazillion note single string figures using four fingers would require the technical chops of a master flamenco or classical guitarist. Not many of those in the world. Easier just to tremendous pick and slide.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Not the slides. Thinking more of some of the faster stuff Stochelo, Paulus, or some of the other guys do. Watching them play - they use more of the 3 fingered technique, although they do use the pinky some.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I think Jimmy Rosenberg must use a five or six-fingered technique. We were watching some of his videos with Frank Vignola today; the frame rate was too slow to see his left hand fingers move...amazing.