DjangoBooks.com

A 30's Selmer-Maccaferri for £500

in Welcome Posts: 6
Sorry for the provocative title!
I've just been searching for some realistic replica selmer machine heads for my bad replica and I saw this -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GYPSY-JAZZ-GUITAR-unknown-make-or-year-or-manafacture-/131479435594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9cc8f94a
The machine heads made me question it - bad photo's but they look like the originals and not like the recent copies you can get.
I'm new here so sorry if I'm completely wrong but if I'm not then merry christmas :)
Tagged:

Comments

On the shot of the sound hole although obscured by dirt - you can also make out the classic label shape! The replica machine head stems are not brass as these are.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Ah, we are also discussing this gypsy mystery auction over on the Aussie forums ;)
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Well It Does have a Tenth Fret Marker :-?
    Funny how somebody who has sold 4 gypsy guitars in the past wouldn't even try to clean the Selmer shaped label just to check.
    Also selling a suspect Tele with perfect tetley tea ageing - mmmm .
    Does he have any Rembrandt's in other items?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I've just bought another gypsy guitar from him on Ebay, no issues with it and it was exactly what he said it was and I got it for a fair price so I don;t think the guy's a crook/fraudster or whatever's being suggested. There are a number of possible explanations for what the guitar is and for the state it's in. He's not saying it's a Selmer or even hinting at it in his Ebay description so in the absence of concrete evidence to the contrary I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and not jump to conclusions about his integrity.
    pickitjohnwim
    always learning
    @ Wim Glen How can I find the Aussie forum, to read more about this?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Having said what I said - the Tele does look particularly bogging. Also the guitar I bought from him - a Manouche Moreno, which is excellent - had extremely dirty hardware to the point where I wore out two brass dremel brushes trying to clean it up. The guitar was immaculate though and sounds brilliant.
    always learning
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    @ Wim Glen How can I find the Aussie forum, to read more about this?

it's actually a facebook group, search for australian jazz manouche something something I forget the title exactly

Thanks for that, I found it. The guitar went for £1060.. interesting