DjangoBooks.com

New pic of Django (Chicago Defender, 1947)

gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
in Photos Posts: 119
Dear everyone,

I'm sorry I don't have time to translate the message I just posted to French forum manoucheries, but you can still see a new pic of Django from American newspaper The Chicago Defender, along with two rarer pictures from the Los Angeles Times (April 1946). Enjoy!

http://guitarejazzmanouche.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31932

Here is the Chicago pic. The rest is above, on Manoucheries.

Django_Reinhardt_Chicago_Defender.png
NoneJazzaferriTeddy DupontMichaelHorowitzwim

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    That's a great find!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Excellent find. ^:)^ Keep up the good work.
  • gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!
  • Great find indeed
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    It is funny to realize that in fact Django is not considered to be himself surrounded by admirers even if he was indeed the star in Café Society
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Nice, thanks for sharing that!
  • gatsbygatsby United States✭✭✭✭
    My pleasure!
    Is it me or Django is holding some kind of bottle in his right hand...? :-$
    edited June 2015 Posts: 1,257
    spatzo wrote: »
    It is funny to realize that in fact Django is not considered to be himself surrounded by admirers even if he was indeed the star in Café Society

Yes it is there because of Hazell Scott not Django which does give a totally false impression as to the reason for the meeting.

It does look like a bottle gatsby but I would be very surprised if it were as I doubt anyone drank straight from the bottle in those days. The shadows on a poor quality reproduction like that can give quite false impressions. Django's tie looks black in this photo but in the others with Leonard Feather, it is striped. However, to confuse things it is quite different in the photo with Paul Whiteman so there was apparently more than one photo session at Cafe Society Uptown which means there must have been other photos taken there.

.... and Django's trousers are dark in the Hazel Scott photo like the Whiteman one so it looks as if Feather went to the Cafe Society gig more than once despite writing crappy reviews about Django.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    In Barney Josephson book "Cafe Society "The wrong Place for the right people" this photo appears as being the opening night but in the text it is indicated that Witheman went on the first day that is to say Dec, 16th 1946

Django played there until January 11, 1947