DjangoBooks.com

Stills from Unknown Django Film Footage???

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
edited June 2015 in History Posts: 1,257
Here are two photos taken of the Quintette in 1938 with Larry Adler at the Alhambra. The similarity is such that they must have been taken only seconds apart and I doubt still cameras could have operated at that speed in 1938. So surely this must mean these are stills taken from some film footage.

Comments

• MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Yes, it looks like that, interesting!
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    Interesting idea!
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015 Posts: 457
    Makes me think of these from the Hague film of 1937 and "Jazz Hot" from 1938/39.

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    a reliable source told me that one time said source was at David Reinhardt's home, and David opened up a drawer and showed him an old tape and said that it was never before seen videos of his grandfather. when asked if he could watch, David replied: "no, you can't"........

is it really video footage of django?? who knows
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Why would someone like David Reinhardt want to keep it secret if it really was Django? Even if he did not want to share it for nothing, it would be well worth selling.

The photo on the left in my compilation is from Charles Delaunay. I can't remember where I got the one on the right from.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    I am pretty sure that Babik's family has something. Maybe not vidéos but tapes of Django's training on new tunes done on a tape-recorder. I spoke once in a cold winter morning just a few monthes before his death with Michel Loisy, Fernand Loisy's son. He had an old tape-recorder on a table and when I asked him if it was some Django's inedit he said that the tape that was on was some Babik inédit on Night In Tunisia but that he had a whole bunch of old tapes of Django's experiments that he still had to organize. After Michel death nothing has ever been found by the family...

I think that keeping some tapes or videos on Django is a good way to build some kind of insurance for the future and will hardly been released freely
  • MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato
    Maybe David can't watch it because of gypsy cultural beliefs?
    What about the US tour with Ellington? ..
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I can believe there may be some unreleased tape recordings owned by the Reinhardt family and possibly other gypsies. We know Django had an early form of tape recorder. I am less convinced about them having any film footage. If it were an official film recording like, for example, a newsreel, how would they have got a copy? They had/have no better access than anyone else. The only other possibilty is early home movies but they were very rare during Django's lifetime and would need to have been carefully stored and preserved.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    But in the gypsy tradition, I thought all the belongings (or almost) was burnt after the death of somebody? (But some paintings of Django were not burnt so maybe some private recordings were not burnt neither)
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited June 2015 Posts: 768
    Yes the gypsy tradition... but for exemple Django's guitar was still in the hands of Babik years after Django's death, so every object that had a link to Django's music was probably safely kept... I think that gypsies would rather have burned some unexpensive objects or clothes just as a standard funeral service. I agree with Teddy probably some tapes were kept. In 1953 tape recorders were already sold. The famous Nagra (one of the best) was already produced in 1950. Django had a tape recorder in Samois.