DjangoBooks.com

Choosing between Alain Mazaud and Olivier Marin

2»

Comments

• Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Which model Mazaud did you play Adrian ?
    There is a model 46 for sale quite local to me thats tempting.
    nomadgtr
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    @terrassier: I don't know the exact model. It's owned by Joe Barko in Ohio. Maybe he can chip in with info?
    Barkonator
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    I think Joscho Stephan really loved Joe's Mazaud too.
    Barkonator
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Joe Barko has a "Vieux Paris" Mazaud, which is the one to have. It's kind of a hybrid between a Selmer and a Busato, and has the most exquisite vintage tone right out of the box. The couple of Marin guitars I've played are great, but are much more modern sounding. That's really the choice you are making here: vintage or modern. Both are quality guitars made by excellent luthiers. A Marin has that brassier modern sound (think late Selmer on steroids), and the Vieux Paris (Old Paris) sounds like its name. I'm a vintage guy, so for me, there would be no question that I'd take the Mazaud, but that's a personal preference. You can't go wring with either guitar, you just have to decide what sort of sound you want.
    Telmo MendesBarkonator
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Haven't played a Mazaud yet...
    I own an Olivier Marin, it's a Maple back and sides with Cedar top.
    It's loud and punchy. The neck is comfortable. More bass and mids than a regular Selmer copy. Treble is sweet, not harsh at all.

What this guitar does better than most is dynamics... Very, very responsive instrument, it really picks up on the nuances of your attack which I like for achieving a more expressive phrasing.
    Definitely a modern sounding guitar, within the Selmer type of tone.

If you go for a Marin I would suggest getting a Cedar top, that's the one you are hearing in the recordings of Moignard, Giniaux, Bergara and Convert.
    The wood used for back and sides doesn't matter nearly as much and could be chosen more for aesthetic reasons, though Walnut is supposed to be "rounder" and Maple "brighter".

You can hear the difference between a Marin and Selmer 607 as played by Adrien Moignard in these videos
    Selmer 607

Olivier Marin
    Solo starts at 1:30

Gonzalo Bergara who played a Marin for a long time can be heard playing a Mazaud in this video

jonpowlTelmo Mendes
  • BarkonatorBarkonator Medina, OH✭✭ Mazaud - Vieux Paris
    Thanks for the kind words about my guitar guys! I really love my Mazaud. Michael Bauer is correct it is a Vieux Paris model. After playing a lot of guitars at Django in June something I've noticed about the Mazaud is that it has a really thin neck profile. It almost feels like an electric guitar. It is one of my favorite features of the guitar. Adrian and Joscho really made it sound a lot better than I can though!! ^:)^
    A lot of good things about the two luthiers, man. I would really love to try a Vieux Paris and a Morin before buy it, but I'm from Portugal, and that guitar doesn't exist in any shop here... Anyone wants to know Portugal and bring the guitars? ahaha
    But thank you for all the answers, I know it's a personal thing and I also know it was better to try one first but I don't a light at the end of the tunnel to do that...
    I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel to do that...
  • I have had two Dunn guitars made for me....and bought a DuPont sight unseen from Michael Horowitz. All have worked out well.

Michael was pretty accurate in his description over the phone. A change of pick tip and different strings and the DuPont has become an amazing guitar. Like playing a really good piano.

Lucky? Perhaps, but a lot of luck is in the research beforehand. I think @Michael Bauer put it well as far as sound goes. A phone call can determine neck shape, fret wear, string widths and overall condition.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed