DjangoBooks.com

Dupont bridge question

sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
Just got a Dupont bridge for my Gitane JJ -- the guy I bought the guitar from had included one, but it was a little low, and the rosewood shims I added hurt the sound a bit. (Interesting: credit card shims sounded much better!)

Anyway, ordered a new #3 from Jacques. It arrived yesterday and I fitted it last night. Sounds good, though the action is now maybe a little too high: >= 4mm low E/3.5 high E.

Anyway...my question: these bridges come with a bottom that's pretty flat, but the very outer ends of the feet are cut a bit higher -- hard to explain, but if you sat the unfitted bridge on a flat surface, the outermost parts of the feet would not touch the surface. As you sand the bottom to fit the arch of the top, the inner parts of the feet get sanded away but these outer edges still "float" above the top. Is this by design? I have it nicely fitted so that most of each foot matches the top exactly, but the last 5mm or so of the foot isn't quite touching the top. Sound is excellent.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

John

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    John:

I think it is by design. I have seen this in plans for Selmers. The part that touches the top is centered right over a couple short braces that span between two heavier lateral braces. If the outside edges of the bridge were to touch the top, this portion would be unsupported. That being said, many examples of Selmer bridges do not have the relief at the extremities.

Craig
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Thanks. I emailed Jacques and he confirmed:
    it is indeed by design..
    so that the inner part of the foot be in direct contact with the braces below..
    and since the outer part would not touch they are routed away..
    this of course is from the original Selmer design..
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    As a note the Dupont bridges are a dead ringer design wise as the original Selmer bridge for the Jazz model. Including the "foot relief".

Josh